Sign in to follow this  
akadeadeye

Canyon Trip

Question

We are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, AZ, Bryce Canyon, and Zion National Park in May from San Antonio, TX. I have done preliminary research but would appreciate any insight as to RV parks, must do or must see things along the way, etc. We have a big rig and will be towing.

Thanks,

Don

2 answers to this question

There are some recommendations for the Grand Canyon area in this discussion topic from several months ago.

Regarding Zion and Bryce Canyon, this discussion on parks in western Utah should help. Note in the discussion that you will not want to take your motor home on Highway 9 into the eastern entrance to Zion National Park. That entrance has a long curving tunnel which must be closed to opposing traffic if you want to go through. You have to drive the center of the road to get through it. They charge a fee for closing the opposing traffic for you. Plan to come in and stay on the western side or stay near Bryce and drive the toad through the tunnel.

I did that trip in reverse from ID back to central TX in Sep/Oct of this past year in my 40 ft with tow. The two sites TButler gave provide some good info. There’s a lot more, but it’s too much to post here. If you would like to PM me, I can give you info on what roads I traveled and where I stayed.

It’s true that the Hwy 9 tunnel has to be blocked for a large motor home to pass thru, but it isn’t a big deal. Even the largest rig will fit and the national park rangers manage traffic very well. What is more of an issue is the curvy and hilly two lane road that runs thru the park I can guarantee, that as the driver, you will not get to see much of the park because your eyes will be glued to the road. And if that doesn’t bother you, then be advised that the turnouts were also not made for a large motor home.