Sign in to follow this  
greenbarn1

Headlight problem

Hi gang, just bought a used 2014 newmar dutchstar. I have a interesting problem. On drivers side the daytime running light which is also the low beam works. The drivers side high beam has no power and all fuses have checked out good. On the passenger side it's the exact opposite! No daytime or low beam just high beam. No power and all fuses checked out good. Also only one fog light is working. There is a factory recall on the headlight harness to fix having both high and low beam on at same time on high beam.  

Thanks carl  

2014 Newman dutchstar 4364 17,000 miles 

Carl, My first thoughts are, Have you or someone replaced the headlights, done some front end body work?

The first thing to check would be the headlight connectors - are they the same on both sides ( same size, same pin connections) and same gauge wires, are the wire colors the same ? Not having both lights ether high or low beams could be a broken ground wire. From you post it sounds like they toggle -, but there are different bulbs lighting .High on the drivers side, low on passenger side and the light pattern changes when you toggle the high / Low switch.

One more item are your head lights Incandescent or LED's ? OEM lights or upgrades?

Rich.

used 2014 Newmar Dutch stair - What model? 

All wiring looks factory including plug to headlights. Lamps are halogen and I have swapped lamp from side not working to opposite headlight and works fine. Lights that work obviously have power at connector and those that are not working don't. All fuses I can find test good. Thanks for the ideas. 

If it is a Freight liner chassis  the lights will be on separate circuits and controls  

The body builder may have changed ??

Carl, just give Freight liner Custom Chassis a phone call, have the last 6 digits of the Vin # and ask them to send you the Chassis electrical PRF files. There a re 3 pages in most cases and page 1 generally covers the front wiring . If reading electrical drawing is not one of your skill sets, a good service tech should be able to get a handle on things.  

Willing to go over things with you if needed though !

Rich.

https://www.freightlinerchassis.com/contact-us/#contact-us-2

CUSTOMER SUPPORT CENTER
1-800-FTL-HELP (1-800-385-4357)
fcccservice@daimler.com

Thanks everybody for the help. I will contact freightliner later today. I called newmar and they indicated the recall with replacement harness should fix problem. I will advise group when problem is solved. 

2 hours ago, greenbarn1 said:

Thanks everybody for the help. I will contact freightliner later today. I called newmar and they indicated the recall with replacement harness should fix problem. I will advise group when problem is solved. 

Carl,Thanks for the heads info regarding the factory recall !

Rich.