2dogs6birds

SECURITY ON AN RV

MY HUSBAND AND I JUST GOT OUR FIRST 27 FT. RV CLASS B....

ANY SUGGESTION ON DIFFERENT PRODUCTS TO PROVIDE SECURITY ON AN RV...

IE.  BETTER DOOR SECURITY....EASY TO JIMMY DOORS OPEN AND BREAK IN,

ALARM OPTIONS, GPS TRACKING DEVICES WITH APPS?,  CAMERAS THAT FUNCTION INSIDE

TO LOOK ON AN APP...THAT TELL TEMP, ALERT YOU IF THERES MOTION, ETC

HOW TO SECURE YOUR BATTERIES?....OURS HAS 2 BATTERIES THAT ARE ON A TRAY THAT

SLIDE OUT.   THERE ARE ALOT OF PRODUCTS OUT THERE...JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS

SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT HAS WORKED FOR THEM.

2DOGS6birds.  Welcome to the Forum! :)

I guess it depends on where and how you live.  In 51 years of Class A ownership, I've never given it much thought.  Mine have been garage or barn kept, mostly on property in Texas, I don't bother to lock it & never lost anything!  All alarms do is scare the animals and irritate neighbors!  We do have cameras at different locations, but that's for after the fact, in case of trespassers....all we get, is deer & coyotes! :D

If you live in the city, rent a storage garage, with  24 hour security & be done with it.

Happy Trails and Tales! 

I go along with Carl. It depend on where you love as to how much security you need or want. That being said all the locks and cameras wont stop a thief if they really want into your coach.

A side note, a friend of our with a new coach in a secure storage facility was broken into along with several other units. In taking the radio the damage to the dash and wiring  was so extensive it took almost 6 month to get it all repaired.

Point being, "If they want it, they will get".  So lock the doors and don't park it in East St. Louis. :P

Herman 

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with the others - if someone wants in they'll get in. I've read many more problems happening in storage locations than when the coach is out and about, so choose your storage options carefully.

When we're traveling, we have locks on our storage bays and a deadbolt on the entry door. That's it. We don't worry about the small mechanical access doors or the coach's battery & engine door. But, we also don't park the coach anywhere we wouldn't park our car.

When we're in the coach we use the deadbolt to prevent anyone easily opening the entry door, and we have a motion sensor light over the entry door which is solar charged so that it comes on even with the batteries disconnected.

The apps which let you know temp and such are handy if you're worried about a pet in the coach.

A suggestion - please add a bit more information to your profile such as first name, location, ect. Also, turn off the caps lock - many people see that as screaming when used in an online forum.

There are lots of other threads in the FMCA forum about this subject, so try searching around a bit using different search terms.

Again - welcome and here's to many years of joy in your new coach.

Security is a state of mind and what a person adds for security is for their piece of mind. With that said, nothing is 100% secure.  Don't overkill on a security system. if any. A security system other than vehicle alarm is most likely going to require constant internet access via a router. Data plans need to large enough to accommodate the data.

Loud sounds and bright lights deter most criminals and since you have a Class B you may want to look into an aftermarket, or manufacturer's, alarm system.
If you do, make sure you have an isolated dedicated battery as most criminals that steal from small vehicles know to cut the battery cable supplying power.

As for the compartment doors on any RV, or locked entrance doors whether they are just the entry lock or dead bolt, can be pried open with a large screwdriver, claw hammer or nail puller or similar items.

Stay away from areas that look  like there could be a problem and if you visit a Walmart after Sundown try not to leave the unit vacant.
In all the years of RV'ing we have never had a problem with any type of thievery. We always stay in a campground and do not boondock. Others that do boondock can give more information on security doing so.