fzeuner

House Battery Equalization Process

Hi All, I want to equalize my house batteries.  they are tied to the engine start batteries during the normal charging process.  Should I leave them  tied together or isolate the start batteries during the equalization process.  The engine start batteries are Alliance batteries.  

Appreciate any advise.

Frank

Frank, does your built in charger have the capability to do it, or do you need to do it manually with a portable charger?

I'll throw in the way my Xantrex RS2000  equalize  works. Both battery banks are  connected for charging via a BIRD relay. I set the inverter/charger to equalize via the display panel, it asks " are you sure?", I affirm the equalize. Everything is automatic from that point. It first insures the batteries are at 100% charge, the goes to equalize mode and tests the batteries for actually needing the equalize. Sometimes it completes a complete cycle sometimes only 1 hr, once in a while it says equalizing not needed and terminates the process.

Point is, all batteries are included in the process unless the BIRD automatically disconnects the two banks.

Ray, Do you need to setup the charger to allow for the current load of the chassis batteries when in equalizing mode?

Personal never used the setting, keep checking them with a hydrometer and if one cell starts to drop; just replace the week one. 

Considering going to AGM.

Rich.