MBakerAustin

Tire recommendations after two failures last year

We have a 2013 Born Free 26' (E-450 chassis). The tires (Michelin Defender LTX LT225/75/R16) were all replaced in 2014 after the recall on that model of tire. I'm very careful to check tire pressures regularly (75 front/80 rear which is manufacturer recommendation). Weight is within manufacturer range. The tires have less than 20K miles on them (probably less than 15K but I haven't checked exactly). 

In June we had a blowout on the passenger rear inner tire, about 60 miles from home so I know the tire pressure was OK when we started. No chassis damage so had it towed to Discount Tire nearby, got a new tire, and continued on the trip. When we got home, I ordered a TPMS, figuring that we must have picked up a nail or other puncture causing material.

In November, we had a tread separation (tire held pressure per the TPMS) on the driver's rear outer dual on the way home from a trip - fortunately within 20 miles of home which made the logistics easier. Discount Tire inspected all of the tires and found no issues. It did do some body damage which I'm now working with insurance to repair, 

At this point I've lost confidence in the tires and think I should probably replace the 4 "old" tires.

My thought was to move the 2 "new" tires to the front and buy 4 new tires for the rear. One of the Discount Tire guys suggested I get Michelin XPS Rib tires instead of the Defender LTX. 

I'd appreciate thoughts about what might make sense to do in terms of brand, model, and replacement strategy. Thanks in advance

Welcome  to the forum. Have you weighed your rig? A 4 corner weight loaded ready to travel would be preferable but at least axle weights? My first thought is you may be overweight for that load range tire. I wouldn't do anything till I had a the weight. Cheack what load range these tires are.

Bill

I had good results from B.F.Goodrich T/A commercial tires on my dually; I figured if that's what UPS has on their delivery trucks they are good enough for me. Unless your Class C is overweight, It might pay to contact Michelin directly and inquire about the tire failures and body damage, sure can't hurt.

As you have learned, Just because you check your pressure in the AM or at a fuel stop that doesn't mean you can't develop a leak later on. I have even seen tire failures due to a leaking valve core that stuck partially open after a pressure check with the failure occurring some 50 miles later.

I agree with the need to confirm your rear axle load for each end of the axle when the RV is fully loaded. Larger Class-C MH can easily overload the rear axle and tires.

Glad you now have a TPMS.  You might want to review my blog on how I set my TPMS warning levels HERE.

Is there any chance you have pictures of the failed tires?  Blowout is a catch-all term meaning the tire failed and came apart. Sometimes the condition of the tire after the failure can provide clues on the reason for the failure. It could be a loss of air or it might be a belt separation which have two different root causes.