Sign in to follow this  
dbenoit

I Am Not Solar Savvy

Where I work we just removed 360 solar panels, they all worked when removed and are going to be given away.

They are about ~ 2' x 3' or 4'. Do you think these panels could somehow supply my MH when configured correctly. 

What info would I need from them? They are about 25 years old and the manufacturer is long gone.

I am the Facilities Manager, so I can get a few or more. My decision where they end up.

Thanks

What is the possibility of also getting the charge controllers and any inverters also? Knowing what wattage will be helpful also. As long as they still work is helpful information. Probably too large for traveling use for the motorhome, but can be very useful at a permanent location. Google solar installation for very useful information on setting them up. A panel of that size at todays prices could be worth as much as $300. to $500 each, of course depending on the wattage. Generally 100 watts is priced at close to $100. If you do not use, sell them on ebay craigs lists or any other social media. $10.00 each will net you $3600.00.

Inverters are pretty much junk. 4 @ 45kW ea. Solectra serial #'s 1,2,3,4...lol, the first ones.

I'm not sure if the label means anything. I think I will see what they are going for. Maybe a company barbecue

Panel Info.jpg

Based on the label, these are much larger than what is standard by todays standards. Showing 110 watts each 20 volts (12) usable, not worth as much as I stated above, but will make a nice start for a solar farm @12v 7.67 amps, that can be a very handsome output and considering 360 of them a very nice find for someone. If you have room, take them and store for a later date, use them, or sell, someone will be happy with them.

Thanks for your input. The solar firm we were using for monitoring offered to "take them off our hands". Now I know why.

I need to move them quickly and have no storage available. We'll see what happens in the next few days. We are having a new roof installed

so they had to go and they are not interested replacing them, too bad.

A couple of those panels hauled in the back of the toad could be set up outside the MH and used for boon-docking, with the right controllers.

44 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

A couple of those panels hauled in the back of the toad could be set up outside the MH and used for boon-docking, with the right controllers.

Controllers is where I will mess up.

Its my understanding that the lifespan of a panel is about 20 - 25 years.  Most have warranty for about that time period so I would guess thats how long they last.  They measure the output and it has to be a certain percentage of the new rated output.  The ones I have on my roof are 21" x 47".  You don't need inverters but do need a MPPT charge controller because you only have to deal with 12 volt DC.

I’ll have to look into measuring the output. Hopefully with a multimeter.

That will be my morning search.

Most likely the panels are configured for 24 volt nominal and the short circuit current (Isc) rating would be 3.84 amps. Set your meter to measure amps. Most multimeters can measure 10 amps. Set a panel out in direct sunlight and connect your meter across the output terminals. Check a bunch of them and save the ones that produce the most current.

It appears that these panels can be configured for either 12 or 24 volts. If you set them for 12 volts you could use a cheaper PWM controller. For 24 volt you would have to use a more expensive MPPT controller. An advantage of MPPT is that it is more efficient.