Hvacahand

Drivers License

Hello everyone this is my first post, we are new to FMCA and to owning a motor home. I’ve came across a issue I’m not too sure of. Here in Texas I hold a class c license that allows me to drive any personal vehicle up to 23,000 pounds. Our new to us motor home is 31,000 pounds. It seems I’m going to have to upgrade my license to a class a. With that comes a driving test in something over 23,000 pounds.

Has anyone taken the drivers test in there motor home, and do you have any tips for mastering it?

Hvacahand.  Welcome again, to the Forum!

Texas class C  is up to 26,000 pounds.  Over that is a non commercial B or A, License!  DMV has a handbook on the subject.  Class A is only needed if your going to tow a trailer over 10,000 pounds ( I think that was amended to 16,000).  Since yours is a 1997 Monaco Diplomat and it's DP, I don't  know your tow weight limit...so I will guess it's less than 10,000 pounds.  Most of us get a Class B non Commercial.  You take the written test, then the driving test is in your coach!  

Go find a Big parking lot, like a school on a Sunday and practice.  Bring some bright color markers with you, like cones, and practice parallel parking, stopping at the white line, running between several cones with out hitting any!  I went under a overpass, 10 minutes later, I was asked "what was the height clearance of the overpass?  You need to know how high your coach is, bleed down the air brakes, etc.  Go camping several times, drive the coach and get a feel for where your at, side to side, front to back and height...before you take the test.

Not all DMV offices know about the non commercial class B, A !  I stopped in at DPS and they gave me a list of places that I could go to.  

Hvacahand,

Yes, welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Indeed many of us here in Texas have a "Class B Exempt".  Written, then driving test.

Let us know where you live and we can suggest motorhome friendly locations.  As Carl said, some DMV's are familiar with both requirements and getting you properly licensed, some are not.

As with any law, ignorance on the part of a clerk in getting you the correct info/license won't do you much good if involved in an accident and don't have the appropriate license.

Sweet thanks so much y’all! So I currently live in Round Rock, TX. Just north of Austin. 

I like the idea of getting a feel for it before taking the test. I’m certainly more comfortable with it today than the day I drove it home. (Finally stopped putting myself through the windshield every time I applied the breaks) I know I’ve still got plenty of learning to do though. 

So, go by any DMV and grab to study guide.

Take the written (actually on computer, as least at our location).

That gives you a "learner's permit" Class B.

Take the driving test and get your Class B Exempt License.

Hopefully, someone in the Round Rock area can suggest an "RV friendly" DMV location. If not, call around and ask. 

Since I now spend most of my time in Burnet...Linda told me that Marble Falls DMV gives both the written and the driving test. That's about 60 miles from you!  Lot easier to drive around here, than RR or Austin area!

At least in the Texas City location, the driving test required a reservation.  So, call ahead once you have your test out of the way (or schedule it at the place you took the test).

The Test is not hard but beware of trick questions. 

One question on my test was "when towing another vehicle what color strap is used?" There was a picture of a small pulling a car with a nylon YELLOW strap. So naturally I answered YELLOW. Wrong, the correct answer was there must be 1foot by 1 foot white cloth attached to the strap. No where in the book or information did it say anything about towing let alone color or flag.😯

Herman