dougpeyton

Tracer 4210AN MPPT Charge Controller

I'm installing this controller in my RV.  The instruction manual says it can be set for three different types of battery; Sealed, Gel, and Flooded.  I have AGM batteries that I want to connect to the controller.  So which of the three settings should I use for an AGM battery? 

DougPeyton,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Go to their manual and look up their definition of "SEALED BATTERY".  Suspect that is an AGM.  Much more likely than either GEL OR FLOODED.

Seems to me I recall that I set my AGMs to flooded but its been several years ago.  I just installed lithium batteries and set up the charging on both the MPPT controller and the Xantrex SW 3000 according to the respective tech support.  Set charge voltages for each mode.

It doesn't matter what they book calls it - what matters is that the voltage levels for the various charging cycles are correct for your batteries.

When we installed the Victron MPPT charge controller we had to compare the various options against the chart provided by Trojan for our batteries. None of the standard settings was exactly what Trojan called for, but they had one close. One phone call to Trojan confirmed that it was within acceptable for us.

You might also be able to set custom levels, depending on your controller. We discovered that by using the Bluetooth interface on ours we could do that.