Sign in to follow this  
eric@babin.com

2019 JEEP CHEROKEE LIMITED

The lovely wife would like us to trade our perfectly good 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in for a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.  She wants a "smoother and more comfortable ride" when we are driving around in that rather than our coach. 

From the research I have done on this fantastic educational forum, I have learned that the 2019 Cherokee doesn't have the issues they 2014-2018 Cherokees do regarding flat tow. 

Since the 2019 Cherokee is a new model refresh, and the posts I was looking at were 5 - 10 months old, I'd just like to verify that the opinions have not changed regarding the flat towing of a 2019 Cherokee.

My main concerns...… 

1- The 2019 doesn't need the wiring harness to prevent the "death wobble".

2- I don't need to have a battery charger to flat tow.

3- I don't need to keep in "accessory" position while towing (leading to a drained battery)

I know previous answers have been, wiring harness not needed, no battery charger needed, and you don't need to keep it in "accessory" position while towing.... but, I just want to verify before I close the deal on the Cherokee.  Things sometimes change.

Thanks!

I don't see any issues from reading the owner's manual.... but, real world experience from real owners would make me feel better. 

a2.png

a1.png

a3.png

a4.png

a5.png

a6.png

a7.png

Hi eric@babin.com,

The main thing to tow any Jeep Cherokee is to make sure it came with an active drive 2 system that allows you to put the drive system in neutral. Cherokee’s with the TrailHawk package come with the active drive 2. It is an option on the rest of the Cherokee’s.

To answer your questions I have only towed my 2019 Cherokee about 5000 miles and so far have not experienced any death wobble with no wiring harness installed.

My brake system (Blue Ox Patriot) is the only thing that uses power from the Jeeps battery. So far I haven’t felt the need to add a charger although I shut the brake off at night and run the engine for 15-20 minutes every day while under tow.

Ignition is off while towing. The tail and brake lights/blinkers are powered by a diode system from  the Motorhome.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Eric.

If you don't have it already, I suggest you get the M&G brake system.  It works with your coach air brake and there is no electric involved.  Manufactured in Athens, Texas!  Works with any tow bar...I use Roadmaster, Herman has Blue Ox, Joe L. has Demco. :D

I'm partial to towing anything that don't need to be run or idled, each time I stop.  Jeep 2 or 4 door, Colorado or Silverado (gas or diesel)!

Carllb tow bar

X2 on M&G  I have it on 2014 Equinox and 2018 Silverado  2500 Duramax  i use a Blue Ox 10000 lb tow bar

Duane L

2016 American Eagle 45A

Empire State National Director

Congrats on your new coach! :)

My current bar is 6000#, have a 10,000# at home...we will be in Albany area by Thursday...Lancaster, PA since Thursday, visiting Joe L.