alibaba11

Steering wandering 2000 Roadtrek 190 Popular 3500 Ram

I have a 2000 Ram 3500 with a problem with steering wandering. I put all new tires on, new shocks all around, and had the alignment done. Everything is tight in the steering but it still wanders. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? It is on a Roadtrek 190 Popular. 

9 hours ago, alibaba11 said:

I have a 2000 Ram 3500 with a problem with steering wandering. I put all new tires on, new shocks all around, and had the alignment done. Everything is tight in the steering but it still wanders. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? It is on a Roadtrek 190 Popular. 

What is the loaded weight of the coach when traveling?

Does the wandering change when the load is reduced?

What is the tire pressure readings?

Rich.

ali,

Several things come to mind.

Did it wander before you had the new tires put on? 

If no have the front tires rotated to the rear, and see if that change things I have seen new tires that are bad from the get go. Firestone 500 comes to mind.  

Was it aligned at the same time that you put on the new tires?

There is a possibility that the Toe-in is not set properly. Out of spec Toe-in will cause extreme wandering.

Herman

When the alignment was done did they do a four-wheel alignment or just the front? Even with 2-wheel drive vehicles it's sometimes helpful to have both axles aligned, as you might have a rear axle mounted not square with the chassis.

Are the new tires you installed the same as the old ones? If so, the tires might be the problem. I've had cars in the past where a particular set of tires just didn't feel right on the car - switch to a tire with a different tread design and things were much better. I personally prefer the feel of tires with a strong center bead and feel that it helps with tracking much better than tires which don't have the center bead.

17 hours ago, alibaba11 said:

What are your tires pressures set to? Do you have 4 corner weights to adjust the tire pressures to? 

My tire pressures are 45 front and 80 rear as required on door. It wandered when I drove it home the day I bought it. It originally had Firestone on and I replaced them with Coopers. They did a four wheel alignment. There is no load in the vehicle yet as we have not used it yet.  

ali,

Wow I wouldn't have believed those pressure but I looked it up and you were correct. You said 45 front and 80 rear, and the chart says 50 PSI front and 80 PSI rear and 80 PSI Spare. Close enough. 

I go back to either incorrect Toe-in or bad tires.

Herman

7 hours ago, alibaba11 said:

My tire pressures are 45 front and 80 rear as required on door. It wandered when I drove it home the day I bought it. It originally had Firestone on and I replaced them with Coopers. They did a four wheel alignment. There is no load in the vehicle yet as we have not used it yet.  

Load it with all of your belongings, fill the fresh water tank and have it weighed at each corner, adjust the tire pressures according to the pressure chart that can be found on the tire manufactures website. 

What size tires do you have?