jrmoore

1975 Elaganza II gas gauge inoperative

Hello,

I am looking for direction/suggestions on how to troubleshoot my failed gas gauge. I need pointers from all directions, such as if it is "float based"; where to check any electrical connection, etc. I am not real mechanically inclined but more than willing to learn so that I can perform this and MANY other repairs myself. Please make no assumptions when suggesting or explaining. All information and direction is greatly needed and appreciated.

Sincerely

John,

First step in any gauge malfunction should always be to check ground connections. Probably a vast majority of problems with gauges and similar instrumentation can be traced to ground faults, especially on earlier coaches like yours.

Hopefully there is an access panel above the tank where you can get your hands on the fuel gauge sending unit. If so, then you'll have a much easier time finding the wiring and getting it repaired.

You might also have ground connections behind your gauge cluster. While you're in the area, check all the other connections back there for anything loose or corroded.

John, Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Found this information on the fuel supply lay out that might help.  The second link offers a number of pictures that might also help understand the coach layout.

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/showfull.php?photo=56207

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/member-galleries/p56207-schematic-of-fuel-system.html

Rich

Rich, two fuel tanks? Is there a switch on the dash to move from one to another or did the engine draft from both at the same time? I’m curious if there was two sending units or one?

Joe !I can not remember for sure, LOL 

There is one of the Coaches in the series in pristine condition in the RV Museum. I kind of remember them having a switch and the fuel gauge would read the level in both the main and Aux. tanks.  The information on the fuel system that I forwarded shows the location of the transfer valve .

That being the case , think that there is a bad ground, the odes of both float's failing is slim to none.

They are nice units and a number of owners keep them in good condition. 

The weak link in the design is the front wheel drive will spin when the roads are wet. Dad owned a Old's Toranado and it never had a front wheel drive issue. They where built like tanks and a real sweet drive.  The weight to load ratio was no issue, they where good snow machine.

Rich.

https://www.rvmhhalloffame.org

Your first course of action is to tap vigorously on the gauge itself....sometimes that works in an airplane.