nitnub007

Motorhome prices

WHAT IS THE TYPICAL MARK UP ON MOTORHOMES

Getting the age we need to park it.  After trying RVT.COM.  Took to a dealer to sell on consignment.  I was asking $138,000 for a 2008 Motorhome with 42,000 miles on RVT.COM---no good--- dropped it to $125--------no good. Dealer says he can get me $100,000---what do I do.   He advertises in for $155,000---has it 1 month and says I need to come down on my price.  Is 55% typical mark up?   Just looking for some education.

If he's advertising it for $155,000, that likely is not the price it will actually sell for. Advertised prices are always higher than sales prices.

That said, I'm sure he's going to make money on the deal, and your contract should tell you what the consignment fee percentage is. Most consignment contracts I've seen pay a fee based on a percentage of the final sales price, plus a set 'processing' fee.

Or does your contract just guarantee you a minimum payout to you? If this is the case, then as long as you get the amount you asked for I'd try not to watch how much the dealer does or does not make on the deal. While it may seem like he's making excessive profit on a deal like this, that extra profit gives him added incentive to move your rig more quickly.

just like any depreciating asset, the older it gets the less it is worth.  Not sure where you are located but there are only a couple areas in the nation where RV sales will be going up in the winter months, everywhere else they will tank until spring.  

If you trust the dealer/broker who is trying to sell it then I would price it just above where he thinks it will sell.  I haven't heard too many stories where someone held out for more money for a year or two and came out good.

I don't know from nuthin about motorhome markups, but having once or twice sold new and used cars, decades ago, this strikes me as -- (diplomatically) -- questionable.

26 minutes ago, UrbanHermit said:

I don't know from nuthin about motorhome markups, but having once or twice sold new and used cars, decades ago, this strikes me as -- (diplomatically) -- questionable.

First of all this post is from August 23, 2019. Don't know who the OP was dealing with. Ofcorse the dealer who is selling on consinmet wants him to drop his price, the sooner it sells the sooner he gits his money. For the record I just sold one of my spare diesel pushers at PPL Motorhomes. I got the price I wanted and they got their commision. Right now is a good time to sell.

Bill