joanstu

Health Insurance while traveling in Canada

We have signed up for a Maritime Provinces rally in June.  Our RV is insured for the trip, but we are not.  Since we are on Medicare, our insurance effectively stops at the border. While FMCA offers insurance to bring out "mortal remains" home to the US and to assist in medical evacuation. we are curious:

What medical insurance do you purchase for use in Canada?

Thank you

I think that FMCA has Medical Travel insurance you can purchase provided by Seven Corners, the same insurer that provides FMCAssist. Call 877-202-4176 and ask. 

Medicare will provide coverage if you are traveling through Canada from a location in the US to another location in the US.

For example going to Alaska.

..or going from Maine or New Hampshire to Niagara Falls taking the Canadian route.

Is that the Tour from Montreal to Saint Andrews?  We did it this Summer, I have Blue cross/Blue Shield as a supplement to Medicare & was covered.  My Fiance has AARP & she was also covered...before you call Seven Corners, call your provider! 

Some Medicare Supplemental plans have $50k emergency coverage outside the US.  That's a lifetime maximum, but it should be enough to cover getting you back to the US.

It should be noted that whether or not you have this coverage has NOTHING to do with whether you have AARP or any other particular insurance carrier.  All supplemental plans (Medigap plans) with the same "letter" ID have exactly the same benefits.. We have Plan F and the outside the US benefit is valid on those plans.