krdf

Internet on the Go

We started full timing July 2019. We wanted to stay connected while on the road so after researching several plans we decided on Sprint using a CoolPad hotspot (not thru FMCA). It is an unlimited data plan for $60 a month plus we had to buy the hotspot. Launching from Mesa, AZ we headed north to Salt Lake City UT, Devils Tower WY, then east all the way to Richmond VA then up the east coast to Nova Scotia. We only rarely had good enough service for watching a movie or surfing the web and email. We found the Sprint "coverage map" useless. Anywhere they showed solid coverage was not. We were constantly in contact with tech support up two levels. They kept saying they were having cell tower problems. Finally fully discouraged we canceled. No refund or credit for lack of service.

Decided to try the AT&T TOGO (that will only work on the AT&T network for now) paying upfront $360 for a year of unlimited data . Bought the antenna from Amazon, followed connection instructions (using RV park Wifi) by Dave Bott on You Tube and are now enjoying unlimited data for $30 a month. Do not go to an AT&T store. This is available via internet only and the antenna only works with the AT&T network. Even though we had to invest a bunch of money on the TOGO unit we are still saving by using a system that works. Bad news is AT&Twill stop offering the service after Jan 15, 2020. The TOGO unit is actually a Winegard ConnecT 2.0. After Jan 15th Winegard will unlock the unit so it can be used with any service. All good things come to an end.

Just wanted others that are considering the FMCA/Sprint plan to be aware of our experience. It would be great if this plan delivers but be aware.

I concur, went with the TOGO in August 2019, no real problems, very happy with the unit. Two points I'd like to make however. One: I have been in contact with TOGO and the unit is not 'Locked' to any one network provider. There is a sim card in the unit that can be changed to Verizon if wanted, but the unit itself comes with the AT&T sim card in it by default. Two: Just like the ConnecT 2.0, it has 3 signal amplifiers, and 5 antennas, 3 for WiFi and 2 for 4G (cell) so it also brings in the lower powered signals from WiFi and cell. In fact I have used it several times to park near Walmart, McDonalds etc.. and connect to their WiFi when my laptop computer couldn't find a strong enough signal. The 'Unlimited' plan from AT&T may be going away but if purchased before the 15th prepaid for a year (?!) I can't see them simply cutting you off, more like grandfather you in until your year is up with no renewal allowed. Well that would be a full year at $30.00 per month which is much cheaper than anywhere else.

wayne77590, this is true. Program is still available until Jan 15, 2020. If you sign up before then you will have the service until Jan 2021. You need to pay the full one year fee up front. I think it is still $360 for the year ($30 a month) until the cut off date. As such I signed up Dec 2019 so I'll completely enjoy the unlimited service until Dec 2020. The info I have seen is that AT&T will offer data capped plans that will cost 3 to 5 times more. A shame. IMHO, AT&T will be losing almost every subscriber that owns a TOGO. Must have been a decision 'by committee' . I have come across several less expensive plans than the ones AT&T are going to offer and I'm sure in the coming year things will change.

Rumor has it that all the majors are betting on the 5G, even though the US & most other Govt's say NO!  Not any time soon!

1 hour ago, wayne77590 said:

I received information from another RV'er that TOGO by ATT is shutting down with no renewal.

Just FYI from a TOGO user. The unit works great with Verizon as well as AT&T. They are NOT 'shutting down', they simply are not going to offer the unlimited plan for $360.00 per year.

1 hour ago, KRDF said:

wayne77590, this is true. Program is still available until Jan 15, 2020. If you sign up before then you will have the service until Jan 2021. You need to pay the full one year fee up front. I think it is still $360 for the year ($30 a month) until the cut off date. As such I signed up Dec 2019 so I'll completely enjoy the unlimited service until Dec 2020. The info I have seen is that AT&T will offer data capped plans that will cost 3 to 5 times more. A shame. IMHO, AT&T will be losing almost every subscriber that owns a TOGO. Must have been a decision 'by committee' . I have come across several less expensive plans than the ones AT&T are going to offer and I'm sure in the coming year things will change.

I small correction, AT&T is NOT 'shutting down' the TOGO data, they are simply not going to offer the unlimited plan for $360.00 per year.