lazylizard2

Tire pressure for new tires

I've  been running Goodyear G670 (245/70/19.5) and had to replace this year. FMCA didn't offer the discounts on Goodyear, so I went with Michelin XZE (245/7019.5)  With the Goodyears I was running 80psi, but at the Michelin tire shop they set the new tires to 100psi. I'm confused and tried looking up the right psi for the tires. Can anyone help

Lots of shops have a 'standard' pressure they use to fill newly installed tires. It's always a good idea to confirm the pressure they set is the proper one for your particular coach using the load and inflation tables. Like Brett said, if you don't have actual weight go with the placard until you get the coach weighed.

Yup, not reasonable to expect a dealer to know the correct PSI for your tires.  How is he to know the actual weight-- whether you full time and have a rock collection or only lightly load for an occasional weekend trip.  They SHOULD err on the side of too much PSI-- that gives a rough ride, but will do less damage to the tire than being under-inflated.

It is an owner's job to take it from there.

Spoke with rep from Michelin, who told me I need the axle weight of all four corners to determine psi. So should I divide the GAWR that i have on placard, in half for now until I get rig weighed

Ideal is to do "all wheel position weighing, then use heavier wheel position on each axle to determine the minimum PSI for all tires on that axle.

Second best is to weigh the axles (most trucks stops), but that ASSUMES perfect left/right weight distribution-- not likely in a motorhome.  So you would have to add more of a "fudge factor" to account for this.

Third best is to go with the weights shown on your GVWR plaque, but that ASSUMES that you are not well under or over loaded compared with those ratings.

Wish there were a simple answer, but as you can see from the Michelin site, the correct PSI may be 75 or 120-- too much difference to just guess.

You can follow Brett's advice right away.

Then you can learn the How and Why of getting your proper inflation by reading my blog.www.RVTireSafety.net.