F1arkey

Monaco Furnace & Controls

Hello everybody, I have just joined and this is my first post so please be nice to this rookie.

I have just recently purchased a 2002 Monaco Diplomat. It is 40 feet and a diesel pusher.

Our first trip was to PEI in the summer and we had a few issues that I will tell all at a later date , but rift now I have a different issue.

And that has to do with the furnace and it’s controls.

Those familiar with this motorhome will hopefully give me guidance to solve my problems.

Firstly, the thermostat. There’ are 2 zones a]nd I have no idea what is one 1 or 2.  Common sense would tell me that zone one is the front & zone 2 the rear.....buuuuuuut there is only a thermostat at the front so how could it control the rear of the motorhome.   There is a thermostat just at the side of the bathroom door of which I don’t know what to do with so I just keep it off.

Secondly, on the thermostat there are choices of cool, fan, furnace or heat pump.  Cool is easy as it operates the a/c in the ceiling, but the rest are a bit confusing.  Heat pump is supposed to make the ceiling a/c  work in reverse and produce heat, or so I’m told, but they don’t.  What happens is that it works the same as furnace, operating the furnace.

Next we come to the furnace(s).  There are 2, one under the sink and one under the fridge.  They each work on their own with no reason as to why.  One will come on one time and the other will come on at another time with no order of when.   One will be on 10times and then’ the other will come on for maybe 2 or3 times, then the other will be on for a few times.

It's like they are possessed....LOL

All advice will be appreciated and thank you in advance.

Bruce

Hi Bruce.  Welcome to the Forum!! 

If your furnace is LP , you should have registers on the floor, just like a house.  If you have Aqua Hot, then the registers is thru the foot off cabinets and furniture. No matter the system you have, you probably have heat going into bays that has your plumbing..  Under sink is one example, probably does double duty, keeps interior warm & plumbing...the bathroom would be the same...Your correct on zone 1 & 2.  You got 2 turned off, so number 1 is trying to keep the whole coach warm!

Turn on number 2 and set it & 1 on same temp, use the gas setting (for both LP and Diesel if you have AH).  That should prevent continual cycling!

Heat pumps don't work below 40 degrees as a rule, AC with heat strip is good to 36....both are noisy!

Carl C.

Bruce, Welcome the the FMCA Forums! 

We have a similar set up as you (same year same coach manufacture), however we have Aquahot so part of this might help, the rest I hope someone else chimes in. 

We have "COOL, HEAT, FAN" as the options. Aquahot has its own thermostats spread out over 4 zones not connected to the main thermostat. When set our main thermostat on HEAT (which is for the heat pumps) it takes a good 5-10 minutes before you actually get heat, they start off blowing ambient air throughout the interior, which is typically cold. Have you ran them that long? As far as identifying which unit comes on you will have to turn one zone on and listen for the compressor, Monaco ducts are all connected so you will feel air everywhere even if one unit is on at the opposite end of the coach. Ours Zone 1 is the Bedroom Unit, Zone 2 is the front unit. Seems backwards too me also.

If it is too cold for the heat pumps on the roof, the display will show "ICE", which means the heat pumps will not turn on due to outside air temperature being too cold. I have ONLY gotten this message below 30 Degrees, otherwise they have come on everytime for me. Most say below 36 they will not work. Our's its 30!

"Furnaces coming on and off", that sounds like they are toggling back and forth due to the actual room temperatures in those zones. These I am not familiar with as I do not have furnaces in ours. 

Your set up sounds like ours...2002 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. We have 2 heat pumps and an LP furnace. We have one thermostat and 2 zones. Zone one is the front heat pump/air conditioner. Select zone one and you can select fan, select cool and adjust the temp, select heat pump and adjust the temp or select furnace and select the temp.heat pump/ cool settings only affect the front heat pump.

select zone 2 and you are controlling the back heat pump. Our back heat pump has a sensor that monitors the temp and controls the unit like a thermostat. Our is mounter underneath an overhead cabinet. It’s a white disk with slits in it.

if you select furnace in zone 1, both heat pumps are shut down and the LP Furnace is activated. Make sure your LP tank is switch on.

Our Mandalay has the same furnace and thermostat setup. In ours, Zone 1 is the front and Zone 2 the rear. The single thermostat is actually two-in-one. Somewhere in the bedroom is a temperature sensor that lets the thermostat know what the temperature is back there. That’s how you get two zones out of a single thermostat.

On 1/28/2020 at 10:49 PM, F1arkey said:

Hello everybody, I have just joined and this is my first post so please be nice to this rookie.

I have just recently purchased a 2002 Monaco Diplomat. It is 40 feet and a diesel pusher.

Hey and welcome..  

Monaco Great choice...

OM right here.  https://www.monacocoach.com/rv-owners-manuals

Direct link https://www.monacocoach.com/resources/media/manuals/2002_Diplomat.pdf

I sort of skimmed it but you might try page 118