mtaz57

Towables tire discount

I have looked at all three manufacturers tire program and can't find my tire size. I am wondering if I am missing something in the program. Is there a separate section for towables?

Terry,  yes I didn't see an exact match. Some are using LT tires but this would be a great quiston for Dan Ball at the FMCA office. Why don't the 3 offer ST or equivelent tires.

Bill

On 6/6/2020 at 8:12 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Terry,  yes I didn't see an exact match. Some are using LT tires but this would be a great quiston for Dan Ball at the FMCA office. Why don't the 3 offer ST or equivelent tires.

Bill

Bill, You need to be careful. An ST 235/80R16 LR-E   is not really an Exact match for an LT235/80R16 LR-E as the load capacity of the LT tire is lower than the ST that you need based on GAWR

There are LT type tires that have greater load capacity than your ST but they either are larger or have a higher Load Range and need higher psi which may exceed your wheel limit.

Do you know your actual scale readings on your tires with your trailer fully loaded?  You can learn more about ST type tires on my RVTireSafety.Net blog 

My direct email is Tireman9@gmail   and as an FMCA member you are welcome to contact me directly so we can see what your options are.

31 minutes ago, tireman9 said:

Bill, You need to be careful. An ST 235/80R16 LR-E   is not really an Exact match for an LT235/80R16 LR-E as the load capacity of the LT tire is lower than the ST that you need based on GAWR

I bet that a Lt tire that meets or exceeds the load carrying capacity of the trailer axle location within the approved inflation level will work just fine.

40 minutes ago, tireman9 said:

There are LT type tires that have greater load capacity than your ST but they either are larger or have a higher Load Range and need higher psi which may exceed your wheel limit.

So what does that have to do with anything? We are talking about replacing a ST with a LT of the same size and load carrying capacity. 

Bill

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I bet that a Lt tire that meets or exceeds the load carrying capacity of the trailer axle location within the approved inflation level will work just fine.

So what does that have to do with anything? We are talking about replacing a ST with a LT of the same size and load carrying capacity. 

Bill

Bill, First I have to apologize to you. I misread your post. Too much of a hurry.

OK the load capacity of Terry's ST tires is 3420# @ 80 Psi. I do find an LT285/70R16 LR-E rated for 3640#@80 psi but the 285 requires an 8.5" wide rim while the original ST 235 is probably on a 6.5" wide rims so we would be required to change wheels.

Basically LT tires, with only a couple exceptions, top out at LR-E so we are not going to get an increase in load capacity in LT type tires.

Now maybe a better approach would be  to go from 16" to 17.5" diameter wheel and a LR-F truck tire. Hankook AH11 215/75R17.5 F/12PR might be an option but again this requires a wheel change.

Unless Terry has a serious overload program I think that staying with ST type is the best bet even though none of the 3 companies in the FMCA discount program make St type tires.

when I had a 5th wheel I changed out the STs for LTs, because one of the STs failed, and it was new China STs vs new US LTs.