revrichard

June 6, 1944 D-Day

The Military Veterans Chapter (MVC) of the FMCA would like to thank our WWII D-Day veterans and families for their sacrifices. 

Richard "Doc" Strait, MVC Alternate National Director.

dday-june-6-1944-1-728.jpg

Yes.  One lone man, at Normandy yesterday, laying a wreath!  We came in by cruise ship last year, Memorial Day, there where 187, who went to the beach/graves!

Dad was there prior to the invasion. He was on the lead mine sweeper for the atlantic fleet, USS Implicit that cleared the waters. He would have been 98 last March. I talked with mom yesterday, she still remembers the day but she didn't know where dad was. I think it amazing only 4,412 allied military were killed that day, one was a cousin/ son of dads oldest brother.

RayIN, my Dad was there also, 3 days prior....he was assigned to Gen. Eisenhower/OSS, to go in and report back on personnel, gun emplacement, weather, etc. He was a Radio operator with the Norwegian RAF/British RAF from 1940 -45.  Capt. Got his training in Canada in 1941 (Little Norway Air Base, Ontario).  He died in Santa Monica, Ca 1983, Mom died in SMCA 2006.

I know you are proud of your fathers Service. We all owe a large a debt of gratitude to those men and women of the GREATEST GENERATION.

FYI, in Terrell Texas there is a section in the cemetery dedicated to the RAF Pilots that died there during Flight Training. There is a Great Britain Flag flying everyday.

Herman

The same in the Ontario City Park, by the water.  A plaque,  thanking the USA for the planes that was used for training, then the bombers that was given to the RAF to ferry over to England.  Little Norway was operational until 1947!  All of witch I found on the Web.