newman

Ham radio Baystar Sport cable route selection

I would like to push a 12 volt feed directly from the house batteries (in engine compartment) into the console area. Can anyone point me towards a good firewall penetration point, or other accessible route for that wire?

Also want to bring an antenna feed line forward from the rear ladder on the driver side of the coach. Any knowledge would be appreciated.

If I were to walk out and do it now, I'd come into the driving compartment by drilling a portal just behind or in front of the passenger seat, then fish the cable forward to the console beneath the carpet. I thought about coming over the lip of the hump, but this involves a pinch factor at closure and crossing over the motor area directly - lots of reasons not to do so in my mind.

any thoughts appreciated

thanks,

Brent / KB4DZN

Brent,

Welcome to the Forum.

Folks here need to know what make, year and model of coach you have. With that information it will get you a better answer.

And again Welcome

Herman

Interesting! My battery is the last compartment in the rear on the driver side.  I'd run some heavy gauge wire underneath with tie-wraps to a spot where I could get in. In the old days we plugged CB holes with a 3/4 inch grommet.  If we wanted to run a coax through it we would "X" slit it and push the coax through. Of course it required a 3/4" hole.  Same could be used for a power line. Just find a spot through the floor or firewall to drill the hole.  Also, look at the wiring harness that goes through the firwall and see if there is space enough in that grommet for a cable.

KE5QG

Since your on a Ford chassis and battery is in front...do you have enough space to come thru up the steering Colum or into dash area via the wiper motor?

Have some ferrites on hand too.  Even with the motor off, you may have noise and interference that the ferrites will help with.

Best regards,

Richard "Doc", AC8AL

I had a customer once about 20 years ago that installed a CB radio in his class C and really did an awesome job. The only problem he made was he secured (zip-tied) the antenna coax to the ECU harness. Every time someone keyed up, the engine would shut down. I moved the coax about 6" away from the harness and everything worked just fine. Be careful.