rshinds

Fire Extinguishers

Every type has drawbacks. To me the most effective is one that will suppress fire long enough for us to escape. That is my only concern. Anything bought with money can be replaced with more money; lives cannot be replaced. GET OUT - STAY OUT!

Since the majority of fires in MH's are in the engine compartment, usually due to a fuel leak and hot surfaces, that is where an automatic fire suppression system is most effective.I forget the brands, another member will remember,

Edited by RayIN

I carry two, one in the engine area, and the other in the galley(mid section). Kidde and First Alert brands come to mind, there are several brands out there. I buy new ones  about every four years. Last two were on sale at Costco, cost $15.00 each. Any good suppression system other than water should work fine. Only reason not to use water is in case of an electrical fire.

Placement is as important as anything else.

We've got one next to the front door so it's easy to grab by someone either in the front seats or as they enter the coach.

Another extinguisher is in the very rear of the coach in the bedroom in case there is something making exit difficult or in case we're in the bedroom when something in the kitchen catches fire.

Two more are located outside - one is on the driver's side in the electrical bay, a likely place where it will be needed. The other is on the curb side in the bay immediately forward of the engine compartment. I was going to put it in the engine compartment, but if that's where the problem is I thought perhaps I might not be able to get to it.

I also have lettering on the outside of the bays housing the extinguishers which reads "Fire Extinguisher Inside" so that they can be found by anyone. Those bays are kept unlocked whenever we're on the road so that they are easily accessible.

Another thing we did was to mark the bay where our propane tanks are located with a small black diamond which reads "LPG" so that first responders will know where our tanks are and not waste time looking.

1 near stove in galley & automatic system in engine area. Came with coach, ain't cheap...our life's is a lot more valuable!