mullivan1

Towing a Subaru Crosstex

We have a class A and are preparing to retire and travel full time.  Does anyone have recommendations for trailering the car? And pros and cons of this vs buying a née vehicle to flat tow? Thanks!

Personally, I'd trade the vehicle for something you can tow 4-down.  Having full-timed for >10 years I simply wouldn't want to be bothered with a trailer, or a dolly (which can't be used in your case, anyway). Sure, if you can always get long pull-through sites a trailer wouldn't be all that bad, but that's simply not always possible.  Having to deal with trailers on back-in sites or having to move the trailer to a storage area on a long term stay is more than I want to be bothered with.  I know that some people pull trailers and don't mind it; this is just my opinion.

6 hours ago, mullivan1 said:

We have a class A and are preparing to retire and travel full time.  Does anyone have recommendations for trailering the car? And pros and cons of this vs buying a née vehicle to flat tow? Thanks!

Welcome to to the forum. 

I have to agree with the above post. I have a friend who is full time and tows a trailer. He tells me he has been charged for 2 sites because of the trailer. 

The benefits of towing 4 down greatly ought weigh any detractors.

Bill

There was a company called Remco at the last rally in Gillette selling a gizmo which could be installed on both the front and rear driveshaft of a Subaru to make it possible to disconnect the driveline and flat tow one.

Just checked their website and apparently they no longer make the devices, according to this article they are still available for purchase at other places: https://www.motorhome.com/dinghy-towing/dinghy-digest-how-to-tow-an-untowable/

Not sure if this can help you, but it might be worth looking into.