weareontheGO

tow dolly not legal in some states??

talking with my brother-in-law at thanksgiving dinner and he told me that a tow dolly is not legal in some states.  this is the first time i have heard this.  he used to rv all over the country about 15-20 years ago.  has anybody else heard this.  we leave on monday  towing our van on a towmaster dolly.

1 hour ago, weareontheGO said:

talking with my brother-in-law at thanksgiving dinner and he told me that a tow dolly is not legal in some states.  this is the first time i have heard this.  he used to rv all over the country about 15-20 years ago.  has anybody else heard this.  we leave on monday  towing our van on a towmaster dolly.

Remember you are 'talking with my brother-in-law at thanksgiving dinner' Did he offer any references or facts? I have dragged a tow dolly through all the lower 48 and a couple Canadian providences and no one complained.

By the way welcome to the forum. Have a safe trip. Where are you headed? 

Bill

Perhaps he's talking about some particular type of tow dolly, such as one without brakes.

A quick online search shows that tow dolly use is legal in all the lower 48 but there is variance in requirements for brakes, etc.