kev

Rebuilding an HWH leveling jack

I will be showing the way to repair the AP 2381 16000 pound leveling jack. 

To Remove this jack you need to use a heavy duty jack to raise up your coach.

11heavydutyjack.thumb.jpg.c024f8566c68cdfdf4619f393b8adcdb.jpg

Mine is 10 tons or 20,000 lbs.  Once you have jacked up the rig, then support it on jackstands that will  carry the weight of the coach you are working on. 

Under the coach you can swing down the jack and put a socket in near the top as shown in the picture. 

10swingdownaddsocket.thumb.jpg.5cca07dce9b7dffb022318a7db2c1d4c.jpg  The socket is circled in the photo.  

After you have disconnected the hydraulic line.  Be sure to plug the hydraulic line and cap the jack fitting. Also remove the jack indicator and grounding wire and tie them up to the underside or your rig.  Then you can remove four bolts holding the HWH kickdown jack to the coach frame.     Be careful the jack assembly is about 65 pounds total.   Once the jack is removed from your coach or rig, the springs must be removed.   The procedure for

hwh jack springs - Leveling - FMCA RV Forums – A Community of RVers

removing the springs is posted in other threads under  "Jack Springs."   

This jack does NOT need to have the welds cut off.  Remove the oil plug on the bottom of the foot and catch the oil.

IMG_8185.thumb.JPG.51ec536d077d5c68e4b87caf014c9adc.JPG

jack12.thumb.JPG.f21be2dc4f05b51ce9cb710a324cb60c.JPGThen inside you will see a screwdriver slot.  This is a bolt that will take at least a 2 foot breaker bar to remove.  The bolt is threaded in and locktite was installed on the threads.  Be very careful not to strip the slot.    Unscrew the bolt.  I had to make a tool to fit the approximately 3/16" slot.  The bolt will remain inside the jack.   Once the bolt is unscrewed the cylinder will slide out of the cylinder housing.  

Edited by kev
rearrange photos

Edited for jack removal.  Even if you are sending to HWH, this will help your removal.  Still not an easy job.  

Edited by kev
spelling

40 minutes ago, rayin said:

I wonder if straight-acting jacks are constructed the same?

We will see if the OP can tell us. I can't imagine a hydraulic cylinder you can't rebuild with out cutting and welding.

Bill

If OP refers to kev, as original poster, yes there are other jack configurations of the same AP 2381 also known as an RAP 2381.  As far as abbreviations or acronyms goes we are speaking to thousands of members here and we have space here to  please spell out exactly what you are stating.  

I ran across another AP 2381 Jack this week with no hole for oil in the bottom plate.  This AP2381 with different serial number had an oil plug on the side.  On this kickdown 16000 pound jack HWH AP 2381 there is a snap ring on the inside of the bottom of the jack.  Once the bottom snap ring is removed the inside cylinder can be removed.  You do not need to cut the welds off.    Removal of the inside snap ring will permit the inside cylinder to slide out. 

I will edit with pictures later.