bestred1

Freightliner XCS Chassis wheel alignment?

My 2011 39-ft Coachman Cross Country coach, 390-TS, which is on a Freightliner XCS drifts left & right a bit going down the interstate. A little over 50,000 miles on it and in great overall mechanical condition. Tires are just over a year old & properly inflated. I think it should run straighter than this. I'm an experienced DIYer and have checked it for steering gear backlash and its albeit perfect. I obviously need an alignment but aren't sure where to look after my initial experience.

I live just to the north of New Orleans and called the Slidell Freightliner dealer whom directed me to a local shop. These folks didn't have the proper equipment to do a 4-wheel alignment. They checked front-end Toe the old fashioned way, which I could do myself, and couldn't help otherwise but did say there wasn't anything else to adjust on this chassis' front end. Suggestions on where to go next?

There's a TA/Petro nearby but I've read mixed reviews on the brand having turned to crap. There are a bunch of RV dealers within an hour of me but seems like a bus shop would be better equipped to handle this. Not having much luck finding one via online searches. Any help is much appreciated.

Would also like to hear about anyone's experience with alignment issues on this chassis. 

Your bellcrank could be loose and that could cause sloppy steering. Might want to consider an inspection of that and if the rubber bushings are bad, replace it with one of these. Super Steer Bellcrank. It has bearings and not rubber bushings

Edited by dons2346

You are back to finding someone who has the proper equipment to do a 4-wheel alignment. It doesn't need to be a Freightliner dealer as long as they know how to do it. 

Look at all the rubber bushings on your suspension. I changed out all my bad ones with polypropylene ones that are stiffer.  

Bill 

7 hours ago, dons2346 said:

Your bellcrank could be loose and that could cause sloppy steering. Might want to consider an inspection of that and if the rubber bushings are bad, replace it with one of these. Super Steer Bellcrank. It has bearings and not rubber bushings

This is one I hadn't heard before. I'll check it out................Thanks!

A locally-owned HDT repair shop did a total alignment on my  Spartan MM chassis and found the cause of my steering wander problems. The rear axle thrust angle was out by 3/4", the steering alignment was slightly out. After that total alignment my MH drives and steers more like my Chevy Silverado handles. It was well worth the $300 alignment cost.

Any  shop that has equipment to align semi-tractors is qualified to align a MH. One thing to be aware of though, I took the alignment specs with me to the HDT repair shop and it was the right move, their alignment computer  did not have the correct alignment specs in the data-base for my chassis.

Edited by rayin

On 2/16/2023 at 4:52 PM, rayin said:

A locally-owned HDT repair shop did a total alignment on my  Spartan MM chassis and found the cause of my steering wander problems. The rear axle thrust angle was out by 3/4", the steering alignment was slightly out. After that total alignment my MH drives and steers more like my Chevy Silverado handles. It was well worth the $300 alignment cost.

Any  shop that has equipment to align semi-tractors is qualified to align a MH. One thing to be aware of though, I took the alignment specs with me to the HDT repair shop and it was the right move, their alignment computer  did not have the correct alignment specs in the data-base for my chassis.

Where did you obtain the specs?

My alignment specs were found in the Reyco-Granning IFS service manual. That is the front suspension/steering component Spartan uses under their chassis. I don't know anything about what Freightliner uses under their chassis, and haven't had time to search the web for information or a service manual.

You might find what you need here: https://freightliner.com/service/driver-maintenance-manuals/

Edited by rayin