fagnaml

Route Suggestions - Houston to Hot Springs, AR

The wife and I are attending our first ever RV rally (NIRV Customer Appreciation Rally) in Hot Springs, Arkansas next week (April 12-15, 2023).   The rally will be held at Catherine's Landing RV Resort. We've never visited Hot Springs thus I'm asking the forum for suggestions on the best route from Houston to Hot Springs.

The RV Life App suggests this "RV safe" route:

• I69/US 59 from Houston to I-20
  • Follow I-20 to Shreveport, LA
  • I-49 from Shreveport to Texarkana, TX
  • I-30 from Texarkana to Rockport, AR
  • US-270 from Rockport to Catherine's Landing RV Resort

The Truck Map App suggests this 80 miles longer but roughly the same drive time route:

• I-45 from Houston to Dallas
  • I-30 from Dallas to Rockport, AR
  • US-270 from Rockport to Catherine's Landing RV Resort

Does the forum concur with either of these routes from Houston to Hot Springs?   Once in Arkansas, are their any big hills/mountains approaching Hot Springs I should be concerned about?   My only "hills" experience are limited to big bridges on I-10 between Houston and Baton Rouge and small hills in the Texas Hill Country.

As always, the good advice from the forum is much appreciated!

I don't see a problem with eather one. We are leaving from FW so will be using the second rout. Going on I-30 to 270 We plan on overnighting at Texarkana RV Park & Event Center. Mainley because wife has a doctors apointment the morning of the 11th so don't know exactley what time we can get on the road. May be able to get there but hate geting in after dark.

Just a note, if you do go up I-45 from Houston to Dallas when you get to Dallas take I-20/635 east then stay on 635 it will take you to I-30. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

After looking at the map and where you live in Katy I would go the rout up I-45.  Maybe come back the outher way.  

Bill

Edited by wildebill308

Mike, cheack your email for a mesage marked Customer Appreciation Rally - Directions. Catherine's Landing has some sugestions on how to get to the RV park.

Jim S, are you going to the rally?

Bill

I'm with Jim S, 59, 30, 270, Shady Grove Lane.

If you come in the opposite way on Shady Grove Lane it is narrow. Coming in off 270 to Shady Grove Ln is narrow but just about 2 miles.

No big hills that I can recall.  Running hills is not a problem if you let the engine do the work. If you encounter a bigger hill, watch the temperature gauge and downshift to keep the RPM's around 2000. That will keep the fan working and keep the engine coolant cycling.  Just remember that whatever gear you go up in, come down in that same gear. Let the exhaust brake do its job.

If it's real steep, Cindy can get out and push.

Edited by wayne77590

Wayne, this is what the RV park put out as directions on how to get to the park.

Directions

***NOTE TO GPS USERS:  Our address of 1700 Shady Grove Road does not show up correctly on GPS maps.  The recommended address to enter in your GPS is "1010 Shady Grove Road, Hot springs national park". This address will put you at the church on the corner of Carpenter Dam Rd & Shady Grove.  Keep driving approx. 1 mile and you will see our 1/4-mile sign. DO NOT follow your GPS if it says to take "Catherine Heights". If you do not have a GPS, please use the following directions:

***DIRECTIONS TO OUR RESORT:  From Interstate 30, take Exit 98B / HWY 270 to Hot Springs for 13 miles, when you come to the overpass, go under it and turn left at the stoplight and get on the westbound 70/270 bypass also known as MLK or Martin Luther King Blvd. Continue on 270 bypasses to take Exit 7/Carpenter Dam Rd. Turn left if coming from East / Turn Right if coming from the west onto Carpenter Dam Road. Go through one more intersection before coming to the intersection of Carpenter Dam and Shady Grove road. Go into the left turning lane.  Turn left onto Shady Grove Road. Catherine's Landing is 1.5 miles down Shady Grove Road. Our entrance is on the right.

Yes, the directions are good. I just forgot to put Carpenter Dam Road in there. It's an easy route.

You'll pass right by Bubba's Catfish and Seafood. Supposed to be good food but was closed the day we tried it.