ccernst

Extended Service Contracts for new class B

Are extended service contracts for new Class B motorhomes a good idea? We have a one year warranty on coach, 3 years on chassis. The dealer is trying to sell us an extended service contract for $5500 for 5 years, including SafeRide RV Motor Club roadside assistance. We have three days to decide (new Coachmen Nova Li3 RB) so are soliciting opinions (and experience).  First time motorhome owners. Lots to learn. Thanks!

Extended warranty plans from a dealer is a real cash cow for them. I do not recommend. Keep the $5K in the bank as a backup and you will be ahead of the game. As far as roadside assistance, take a look at what is offered by FMCA, CoachNet, Good Sam. I have had Coachnet for 23 years covering 240,000 miles and have used it twice for tows.

Welcome to the forum, hope to see more of you here

I'm not a big supporter of extended service contracts.  The way I read your post, the 5 year warranty really covers 4 years on the coach and only 2 years on the chassis....the other years are covered by your new coach warranty.  I also do not like the "you have to decide in 3 days" comment.

It woulden't take me 3 days to say NO. 

Think about it, they won't cover anything tht already has a warenty on it. They don't cover anything that is a where and tear item like tires or routine maintence. They are also extreamley good at finding reasons something isn't coverd. 

Bill

I would decline for the above stated reasons.  Then after the factory warranty expires,  re-visit the subject.  If you roll that ESC into your vehicle loan you will be paying interest on that $5,500 for the entire term on the loan. That will make the ESC very expensive indeed.

Dealers finance dept.  tries to sell  several different products that add to the loan amount, NONE imo are worth the expense.

After the factory warranty expires, and if you decide to  purchase an ESC, contact wholesalewarranties.com and Good Sam ESC to obtain pricing. I had a good experience with GS ESC during the 6 yr. term of the contract; however the MH we bought had been stored in a barn for 8 years  untouched so we thought it prudent to purchase an ESC, but not through an RV dealer.

Speaking of which, it is a contract with terms and conditions that must be met when a  claim is filed, or the claim is denied. By law it is not a warranty, but rather a contract for services.

Edited by rayin