dhg2397

generator will not start, except with jumpers cables

I have an Onan generator that will not start unless I have jumper cables from another source.  I have 13.2 volts coming from the house batteries and have cleaned the ground and even added a second ground.  As soon as I unhook the jumpers it quits.  I removed the generator and had it looked at by a company that workers on generators and welders and they hooked it up on their bench and it ran perfectly.  They went completely thru it and said nothing was wrong with the generator.  Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated

What is the voltage on your chassis battery bank?  i would also have both house and chassis banks load tested. Just because the voltage is there, doesn't mean the battery can carry a large load.

54 minutes ago, dhg2397 said:

I have 13.2 volts coming from the house batteries

That is charging voltage not battery voltage. Time to test the batteries.

Bill

I agree with the other comments.  Your generator probably runs off your house batteries.  i'd take them out and have them tested.  my guess is you will find one that is bad.

Have you checked and tighten the positive connection on the generator. I had one that won’ wouldn’t start unless you moved the positive connection to right