BROTY

possible short red aux wire to + bat post

The aux red hot wire to the pos batt post to my house batteries is shorting when trying to connect the wire to the pos post. I need a starting point to track down the short

Welcome to the forum BROTY but we are going to need a little more info. What type of coach do you have? What do you mean it is "shorting"? It could be that there is a load on the wire and when you try to connect it, it will spark.

Sorry for the delayed info.

I have a 2000 Damon Intruder MH #349 on a Ford F53 chassis. The red wire I am having a problem with appears to be a direct short since it sparks when I try to reconnect to the house battery. I have been having problems with my Onan 6500 generator that will not stay running. I suspect this wire may be the problem, but I am unable to trace the wire to the generator or whatever source that this wire provides current to. I believe I have seen a diagram showing a hot wire going from the house battery positive post to the generator, but I am not able to trace this wire any further than from where it leads into the chassis. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Following is a message I sent to Flight Systems in regards the problem with the generator:

recently had a phone call booking on Thursday 9/21/23 with your tech Brian. I was able to get the engine to crank, but it will not keep running. I used a jumper from the 12 v batt terminal on the solenoid to the fuel pump and the engine ran great until the fuel ran out of the fuel bowl on the carburetor then died. I checked the fuel pump lead while the engine was running, but no voltage was detected at the hot wire to the fuel pump. Today I did the check cranking test by jumping the pos batt pin to the start solenoid pin and the engine cranked but would not start. This indicates the control board is defective. Is there any further test I can do the confirm the control board part # 300.-4901 is in fact defective. The generator is a Onan 6500: 6.5NHEFA26100P  bom rev. 02-Aug-99

As I read this, you have two issues (?). A wire is shorting, blowing a fuse (?), or sparking when you connect it to the positive battery post and the other issue is your generator won't start. Am I correct?

Yes that is correct, but I am not sure if the two problems are related. I suspect the red wire might be causing the loss of voltage to the fuel pump on the generator, but I have not found a wiring diagram that shows any connection of the red wire to the generator

I would suspect t the red wire you are finding sparking when trying to connect to the battery may be the feed wire to your inverter, thus the load on it. I don’t think your problem with the genset is connected.

Thanks for the reply. I tend to agree with you, so I will be exploring that possibility and also the transfer switch. All of the components on the chassis are over 20 yrs old. Nothing lasts forever as they say. 

I agree with campcop. With the wire disconnected does your inverter monitor panel have power?  Inverters are always "hot", when you turn on the inverter it tells the inverter to begin monitoring the supplied 120VAC receptacles.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't have an inverter installed in my motor home. I tried to trace the red wire to the component it is connected to but was unable to do so with my wire tracker that I bought at amazon. I checked all of my compartments for any signs a pack rat nest. None were found. Another mystery. Any further suggestions appreciated. 

Without an inverter you will never have 120VAC power when dry=camping/ not connected to a generator, solar panels, or shore power.

Edited by rayin

Converters and inverters are electrical devices that convert current. Converters convert the voltage of an electric device, usually alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). On the other hand, inverters convert direct current (DC) to alternating current (AC). See also AC vs DC. I believe I have a converter according to this information. I do have a portable inverter that I can hook to the house battery and run low current draw electrical devices. I use it to charge up cell phones, run computers etc. Thanks for the information

I still don't know what device is connected to this wire, but pretty sure it is not connected to the generator anywhere. I will discover that something doesn't work and find that it should be connected to the mysterious red wire. Thanks for all of the replies