The best 12V compressor is top of the line 150psi Viair, the best battery-powered is Milwaukee 150psi, the best 120V is  a 150psi pancake compressor

I have the Viair and like it. The only drawback is it is still slow. I think if you could rig up a small tank it would help. I use it on the toad and to top off on the coach. I found out how slow it was trying to pump up someone else's  Big RV tire. I also have a  pancake compressor now. 

Bill

22 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

.... I also have a  pancake compressor now.... 

Bill

Same here, a Porter-Cable, $100 on sale at Lowes.

I have Porter Cable, also.  I installed another chuck directly to tank pressure of 150# and use 50ft 1/4 air hose. To top off the large motor home tires, pressure is needed.  

On a Spartan chassis, the instructions say to plumb this onboard air supply line into the wet tank

image.thumb.png.f8ca41edf914792288e4cd65de9263f0.png

Edited by rayin
added drawing

Yup, wildbill I even have a Spartan drawing showing how to plumb in the air line for inflating tires, etc.

image.thumb.png.76267a6f8cbed5663c74e6f8a85bb703.png

Edited by rayin

Even when properly assembled, airing MH tires with the on board air is a PITA.  You must start the engine and use high idle off and on in order for the on board system to get enough pressure to air the 22.5" tires, plus it takes a while.  I tried it....then opted for the Porter-Cable.

Edited by five

Ray, I am with five on that. Yes you can but it is such a pain to do. One of the You Tube channels made up a device to use to do it. It had a valve so you could blead down the air and get the compressor to start and provide usable air preshure. Outherwise when the preshure leveled off above the start point for the compressor you had to go pump the brakes to lower it to get the pump to start. 

One outher thing make shure you have a air fitting that fits the hoses you are carryings. The one by the generator is not compatible to standard air hoses. There should be a male fitting secured near the female fitting. This is so a tow truck can air up the system and release the brakes if needed. I made a adapter incase I wanted to use it. 

Bill

I agree with you guys, using onboard compressed air system for such use is a  poor substitute for a 150psi pancake compressor, and places undue wear on the engine compressor. I don't have my Spartan chassis  air system plumbed that way, just showing how Spartan says it should be plumbed.

I have a 150psi pancake compressor and a 12V Harbor Freight 150psi compressor(Viar knockoff) for a backup.

To eliminate the 5 air chuck differences, I buy the universal air chucks that fit any of the brands.

Edited by rayin