skpennock@gmail.com

TVs Built For RVs

It's not what I'm trying to say, it's what I am saying... There is a clear picture there of a Circuit City store. It's kind of impossible for you to claim that they no longer exist. We've also just passed another going through Pittsburgh over the weekend. Maybe they are planning on closing down, but they are still very much there and open for business now. All of this nonsense aside (back to the original point) a TV made specifically for RV's is the way to go.

Sorry, there is no picture so I just don't understand. Circuit City has been gone for many years. I was not aware of any still being open anywhere and their own website says that their are no stores.

From Wikipedia:

Circuit City Stores, Inc. (former NYSE ticker symbol CC) was an American retailer in brand-name consumer electronics, personal computers, entertainment software, and (until 2000) large appliances. The company opened its first store in 1949 and pioneered the electronics superstore format in the 1970s.[1] Circuit City liquidated its final American retail store in 2009 following a bankruptcy filing and subsequent failure to find a buyer.

I also agree that the purchase of so called "RV specialty" TV's is an unnecessary expense. Quite a few people use Vizio, Samsung, LG, etc instead of cheaper no name brands. The sound/picture quality leaves a lot to be desired. We personally lean towards Vizio and Samsung. :D

This is a 32" Spectre, a great picture, good sound. I drilled a hole in the plastic stand, and top of the cabinet, and bolted it down. It works great, very little movement. We decided to downsize the TV from 37" to 32". The larger size was nice, but not necessary for good viewing. Couldn't resist the WallyWorld.com price on the 1080p spectre at $219., reviews were right on target. The bluray player viewing is as good as the Sony in the S&B Living Room. Life is still good.

IMAG0058.jpg

I had a 37" Toshiba in the same spot for 2 years. I also drilled a hole in the plastic stand and it held up fine. The Toshiba has since moved into the spare bedroom.

The TV cabinet is cherry, matches the rest of the MH cabinets and holds DVD's on the right and left side. The top shelf is for the Bluray, and the bottom shelf holds the front loading HP Printer. The middle shelf holds a large DVD Binder and remotes, and surge strip. The TV cabinet came from WallyWorld also at $129.

2003 Fleetwood Bounder, 32W, Gas, TV Upgrade.

I'm about to upgrade our front TV in the overhead from the old tube Panasonic to a LED Flatscreen.

I am hoping to be able to watch TV off of our batteries when we are not plugged in and without the generator running (We needed either of these for the old TV to work).

The new TV draws 65W.

My questions are:

1. Is it feasible that I can run direct from my Coach batteries (2 new 6 volt Golf Cart type).

2. Any tips on where to draw the power from and/or how?

- Our recepticles only work on 110 when plugged in or from the genny when on. (we are trying to avoid this when boondocking).
- Up front there are 3 x 12V cig lighters but they appear to only come off the chassis battery?

Any help sure is appreciated!

Jim

If your battery bank is up front of the coach, you may be able to wire in a small inverter directly to the house batteries.

Also, if your tv power hookup is similar to my old coach, there is a ciggarette lighter type power hookup in the tv cabinet. If so, you could hook up an inverter to this power source.

Please see any of the responses you have received in all the other forums and topics where you have posted this questions. The answers are all the same.

I installed a 32 inch Samsung TV in my rig four years ago and have had no problems with it. Have driven all over the country on some very bad roads during that time. It still works great. ( so does the Winegard Traveller Bill Adams installed three years ago :) ).

That being said, a guy that works for Jensen made a post a year or so ago about this subject and claimed that there are a number of differences in their TVs made for RVs. What he said seemed reasonable. Are the claims true or not? Do they actually result in a more durable TV? I don't know.

I damaged the antenna input on a 2013 Samsung 1080P 32" LED TV because I had it bolted on an expandable wall mount and made the mistake of using a short coax. My bad!! I have some experience in things electronic, courtesy of the draft board in 1968, and have always tried to repair my messes. I took the back off of the tv quite easily, and low and behold, everything there is a collection of modular wiring harnesses and circuit boards. The original coax input was easily soldered into place ( the old stuff was probably epoxy).

My point in writing all of this is to point out that circuit boards in such an application are indestructible ( minus a sledge hammer ), and that there are very few manufacturers of LED displays in the world. Perhaps three or so. Whatever is in a so called made for RV TV is without a doubt the same display that is in every other TV.

Our 2011 Itasca Sunova motorhome came equipped with three flat-screen TVs. The one in the living room is a standard 40-inch RCA LCD HD TV, the bedroom TV and the exterior tailgating TV are Jensen brand. All of them have traveled more than 20,000 miles and been subjected to extremes in temperature during storage from sub-freezing in winter to more than 100 degree interiors in the summer without any problems.