jamesbice

Satellite Systems in Motor Homes

Hi;

I just bought an RV and I'm looking to purchase a satellite system. I currently have Dish Network at home. I was at an RV Parts Store and picked up a brochure on Trackvision Slimline Series. I'm looking for something that works while I'm moving down the road.

Has anyone purchased one of these ... and how happy are you with the results?

What other systems would you recommend and why?

Obviously, Cost is a factor and the TracVision System is pretty expensive... is it worth it?

Thanks for your comments and help.

James

Guest BillAdams

If your priority for your satellite TV needs is being able to watch TV while you are driving down the road then you will have to use a dome antenna. The TracVision (KVH) product is likely the least dependable choice so do some research on the in-motion dome antenna options.

If you do choose a dome, be aware that you will not be able to use many of the Dish Network receivers and you will NOT be able to use a DVR/PVR or dual tuner receiver. The Dish Network programming comes from 2 satellites (3 if you also want HD) and every dome on the market has only 1 LNB so can only "see" one satellite at a time. If you try to do anything that requires 2 inputs you can't setup one program that comes from 110 and another that comes from 119 or 129 without causing a problem.

My recommendation for all Dish Network users is to skip in-motion and buy a Winegard Trav'ler that will allow you to use any receiver and get the same programming options available at home.

Domes work very well for DirecTV customers who have no interest in the HD programming now or in the future since only one satellite is involved. Otherwise, an open face dish with multiple LNB's is a much better choice.

I have a 2004 model Winegard in-motion dome antenna that has worked very well. I have also been told that Directv is a better choice for the in-motion application.

If your priority for your satellite TV needs is being able to watch TV while you are driving down the road then you will have to use a dome antenna. The TracVision (KVH) product is likely the least dependable choice so do some research on the in-motion dome antenna options.

If you do choose a dome, be aware that you will not be able to use many of the Dish Network receivers and you will NOT be able to use a DVR/PVR or dual tuner receiver. The Dish Network programming comes from 2 satellites (3 if you also want HD) and every dome on the market has only 1 LNB so can only "see" one satellite at a time. If you try to do anything that requires 2 inputs you can't setup one program that comes from 110 and another that comes from 119 or 129 without causing a problem.

My recommendation for all Dish Network users is to skip in-motion and buy a Winegard Trav'ler that will allow you to use any receiver and get the same programming options available at home.

Domes work very well for DirecTV customers who have no interest in the HD programming now or in the future since only one satellite is involved. Otherwise, an open face dish with multiple LNB's is a much better choice.

Hello Bill...I just read your post and I have been very unsuccessful in getting any TV this year...I even bought a new flat screen TV and an $80 antenna from Best Buy to try to get the local networks when I travel...the TV is HD, so I assume it has the digital box that is required...but I have the one that I got with the government coupon when all the programming changed...so I tried both, with or without that box, but I was only able to get maybe one or two channels and then I had to be really close to a big city to get that...I have Dish Network at my home and only subscribe to my local channels through them and I have the DVR box from them also...I was going to cancel my subscription completely with Dish a year or so ago, because I am gone from my home a lot and I just can't get Dish to work any more for me while traveling...but they kept talking to me until I told them I would keep it if they could get the local networks working for me and the DVR box to record my favorite shows...they accepted my offer, so my bill is only $12.36 a month and I am a happy camper when I am home (only about 6 months a year)...but on the road I am not a happy camper because I can't get any of my favorite shows or record anything...I read in some Motorhome magazine that you cannot get your Network channels when you travel with the Dish set up...if that is true, then I will not be able to use my receiver or DVR at all while I travel...so then my only option is to get something to work with my new TV, and $80 antenna from Best Buy that may get me one or two channels at best and then it goes in and out with movement...so if I walk in the Motorhome or the wind is blowing outside, you may as well turn it off...You sound like you know this stuff pretty well...do you have any suggestions for me to just be able to see Network channels, using my Dish or antenna? I appreciate any help you can offer...April

April,

I'm reading your post and it seems to me that you want to be able to record shows while on the road (driving) thus the interest in an in-motion system. I'm also seeing in your post an interest in your local channels which I interpret to be an interest in network or broadcast TV. Let me try to address these aspects of TV in an RV.

It is generally true that when you are away from home in your RV (more than 100 miles) you will not be able to receive your local channels via satellite in your RV. This is because most TV markets are "spot" broadcast from the satellite. This makes them available only in the immediate area around that TV market (generally in the area where the stations are available via antenna). Once you get beyond that spot, you won't receive any local stations.

However, if what you are interested in is network television (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW), you can receive network stations in your RV via satellite. You will be required to complete an application from the satellite TV supplier (Dish or DirecTV). This will be your certification that your receiver is located in your RV. With that certification, they can offer you nationwide stations. We receive both east and west coast stations via satellite from DirecTV. Our stations are out of New York City and Los Angeles. Even though we are currently in California, we get the local New York stations. Likewise, when we are on the east coast, we can also get the Los Angeles stations. When we first started in the motor home we had Dish TV and we were able to get Chicago stations. DirecTV currently only offers NY and LA stations nationwide. We are currently paying $2.25 per month for each channel we receive. That is $9.00 per month to get ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX and multiply that by 2 to get both east and west coast stations. You can pick and choose which networks you want and where you want the feed to come from. We did have a national PBS feed until it became available by satellite in our "home" market. FCC regulations don't allow us to get the national PBS feed if it is available in the local market. We protested this and were told a solution might be coming but it hasn't happened in the five years since we lost PBS.

Given the above, you might be able to use a stationary system to be able to see or record the programs you want. Having TV feeds from east and west coast allows us to do some time shifting. We are on the west coast right now and can watch late night TV on the east coast stations three hours earlier than the local broadcast versions of the shows. You could be on the road driving during your show on the east coast and then see or record the show after you stop for the evening on the west coast feed.

You have noticed that broadcast TV since the digital TV conversion is not what it used to be. In places where we used to be able to get a snowy weak signal and still have TV, we no longer are able to pick up signal using an antenna. Unless you are close to a metropolitan area, you generally will be unable to receive broadcast television. I know there are people who are still receiving broadcast TV in their RV. Their travel and TV needs must be significantly different than mine. Right now we are in a place that has no broadcast TV available. I'm watching US Open Tennis on either east or west coast feed via satellite.

We have a stationary system and are quite happy with it. We'll drive for a day or two and then park for a week or two. When it comes down to it, we really aren't on the road that often. Your habits may be different but I would guess not. So on the few days when you are driving, you could stop for lunch and record or watch your favorite program then continue on your way. With satellite feeds from east and west coast, you could make minor adjustments in your travel schedule and still get the TV programs you want to see or record.

Also, I'd mention that it is possible to find used equipment. We upgraded our satellite dish two years ago. We were at a rally and got a slightly used dome from an installer who had taken it in trade from someone who wanted an in-motion system. We got a $1500 dome for $500. It works much better than the old dome we had, finds signal better and we're able to use current DirecTV receivers with all their capability. The old system was tied to an antiquated receiver which didn't have any of the modern features. I consider it just luck to have gotten the new equipment at such a good price but you might watch for deals.

First of all I have a King-Dome 9702 (high profile), and DirecTV Standard Definition (SD) with a Samsung S70 & a Sony Sat-A1 receivers. If you are the gambling type, and somewhat cheap like me, try eBay for Used. I got my King-Dome that way for around $400 including shipping. Had to pay another $300 for the installation, so be aware of all costs. And make sure whatever satellite receivers you buy (if used like off of eBay), make sure they are capable of having a Receiver Identication Number (RID & different than a serial number). Dish & DirecTv will no longer activate old owned SD receivers that do not have an RID. I am now shopping for a replacement for the sony, it is HOT in that cabinet, and I cannot stand thir menuing system. I really like the Samsung due to it's size and low heat producing and the menu system is very good. And If I can find a 310W, I can "Digitally Fiber Link/Connect" to the Home Theater system on board. The bottom line advise here is to shop for what receiver(s) that will fit, consume the least amount of power (and heat production), and menu system. Also, be aware that some domes only have one LNB and other have two. That means you can have one or two receivers, dual LNB's are essential in "Our" motorhome. And like someone else (above) mentioned HD TV is a whole other Ballgame, and it is my understanding that those domes that "Do Dish" are a better option for HD.

I have Dish at home as well. I installed a Winegard Roadtrip Mini-Max stationary dome antenna for the RV from Camping World. I then took my Dish 211 receiver from my bedroom and placed it into the RV. I get full HD, and the satellite antenna works flawlessly. Please note that Dish now uses Eastern Arc satellites as opposed to the Western Arc satellites, so if you are in the Eastern US, your antenna will be aimed in the opposite direction. the Winegard satellite dishes can be configured for either. If you do not have an additional Dish box, you can call Dish and they will send you one and charge you the standard costs for the dish rental.

As far as the National Network feeds, Dish Network does not offer an RV option. It is handled through a third party company...and you must be on the Western Arc satellites in order to subscribe. Depending on where you are, you may find that attaching your batwing to the back of the Dish Receiver will allow you to pick up most of the national networks. You just have to search for the channels in the Dish receiver when you move locations.

Rick

I have Dish at home as well. I installed a Winegard Roadtrip Mini-Max stationary dome antenna for the RV from Camping World. I then took my Dish 211 receiver from my bedroom and placed it into the RV. I get full HD, and the satellite antenna works flawlessly. Please note that Dish now uses Eastern Arc satellites as opposed to the Western Arc satellites, so if you are in the Eastern US, your antenna will be aimed in the opposite direction. the Winegard satellite dishes can be configured for either. If you do not have an additional Dish box, you can call Dish and they will send you one and charge you the standard costs for the dish rental.

As far as the National Network feeds, Dish Network does not offer an RV option. It is handled through a third party company...and you must be on the Western Arc satellites in order to subscribe. Depending on where you are, you may find that attaching your batwing to the back of the Dish Receiver will allow you to pick up most of the national networks. You just have to search for the channels in the Dish receiver when you move locations.

Rick

Guest BillAdams

Since 110 and 119 work just fine whether you are East or West, you can use the Hybrid mode with the Winegard and receive 110, 119 and 61.5 (instead of 129) without having to worry about Eastern Arc and the National Network feeds.

Using a second receiver or dual tuner receiver with any dome unit can be problematic as both receivers/tuners must be using the same satellite while watching any kind of programming or the second receiver/tuner will not be able to receive programming. All domes contain only 1 LNB and therefore can only "see" one satellite at a time.

Guest BillAdams
The Western Arc satellites are not as accessible here in the Northeast because they are low on the horizon

Yes, they are! 129 is not, but 110 and 119 work quite well up there.

Yes, they are! 129 is not, but 110 and 119 work quite well up there.

129 is the only satellite that carries HD, so in my opinion not having access to HD on my high definition television is not acceptable.

Guest BillAdams
129 is the only satellite that carries HD, so in my opinion not having access to HD on my high definition television is not acceptable.

OK, let's go over this again...... 129 is NOT the only satellite that carries HD. 61.5 carries the same programming. Refer to my original post about using the Winegard antenna in Hybrid mode to receive 110, 119 and 61.5. Piece of cake and the National DNS programming as well.