sparrow

It Can't Be Just Me

We find savings every now and then on AAFES web site.  The other issue is the selection of the items the BX/PX carries. AAFES can't compete with the big boys and to your point, I'm OK with Vanity Fair on certain items.

One thing I have noticed while traveling this past year is how different parts of the country offer discounts to active military and veterans.   One example is Harley Davidson shops.  We visit various ones all over the U.S.  Very few of the northern ones offer any type of military related discount and actually look at you like you have three heads if you even ask.  Most southern states gladly give 10% off and thank you for your service.

Yesterday we stopped in a newer Harley shop in Savannah GA.  The DW was picking up a small item and while we stood at the counter to pay we noticed a sign that said active military could only get a discount one day a week.  This area is full of young military men and women serving our country and the sign made me mad that this business wouldn't offer the discount to them all week long.  We decided to put the item back and not purchase it.

Joe, I would post that to  HD Headquarters!  They don't take kindly to any miss treatment to Military, Police, Fire Fighters or Shriner's!  We all get our bikes at a deep discount. 

I always ask for a military discount and I have an id card that says across the top, "UNITED STATES UNIFORMED SERVICES" and it gets me all of the same access to military bases that active duty does. (Excluding restricted spaces). My wife has exactly the same wording on hers but her id card is a different color. She also gets the same access.

I always ask for a military discount. The worse I can get for asking is a "No!"  Same thing for a veteran as many places give a discount to veterans.  Take Lowe's and Home Depot for example.

I ask the commercial campgrounds for military discounts whenever we travel.  Some do and some don't, but I always ask the question.The sites that offer the discount will be remembered on future travel.

My oldest brother was WWII vet, he went to college on the vet bill, then would never take any other assistance from that including the VA, nor would he ever accept a military discount. My next brother was a Korean war vet, and never took advantage of that. I was just a little soon for the Vietnam conflict and never served. Many times I am asked if I was a vet and would like a discount, I gladly reply that I am not a vet, but you can give my discount to a deserving vet I will appreciate that. My hat is off to all those who did serve, your day of recognition is only 12 days away from this writing, and I hope that you deserving will have a great one.:rolleyes: