brocki

The Stuff We Leave In Our Son's Barn

Within several months we will be leaving for full timing and are selling our home. We will be having an estate sale to get rid of most of the rest. This means that the photos and family mementos that won't be sold will be stored in my sons barn.

Here is the question. We plan on storing the remaining articles is plastic totes. Does anyone have any experience with these type of containers against mice. Barn + out in the country = mice.

Brocki,

We found the two piece tubs (where the lid is a separate piece that snaps onto the bottom) work much better than the tubs with the hinged lids. Although I've never tried it, someone told me that dusting the tubs with Ajax helps deter the critters too.

Good luck.

Tim

We have a storage building in which we have numerous items stored. We use the two piece plastic totes for almost everything. In almost 10 years of using these we have never had mice get into one. We got these from Walmart and they are a heavy plastic with a lid that snaps in place so it is really a tight fit.

Good luck with the sale of your house. We are in the process of doing the same thing. Some things will be stored, some go to our son and daughter-in-law and the rest goes into an estate sale.

You may want to have a company digitize or old photos. Your photos need special storage. You may want to store some things in those vacuum bags that will seal out humity. I have used them and they work great.

We've stored things in double tubs (a large one with small ones inside). That allowed the use of moth balls to be placed between the containers. I really like the idea of going one step farther by using the vacuum bags.

Ward