SADILEK

Wyoming-South Dakota Camping

Hello!

After leaving Yellowstone, we will be heading back to Illinois.

Need suggestions where we should stop and for how many days.

I am being told we should spend one night in Cody, WY. Also, should we spend the night at Devils Tower?

Should we stay right in Rapid City or out of town? How many days would you allow?

This will be happening 4th of July week.

Also, any suggestions for 2 nights in Jackson Hole?

Sorry to ramble on. Thank you!

Guest BillAdams

If you enjoy Cowboy history and/or history in general then I would stop in Cody, WY but if it were me I would stay 2 nights (it's a short drive but you just might want to spend a full day in Cody). Now, driving to Cody will take you off the Interstate option and you are going to have a shorter drive but one that includes a much more mountainous drive. We took this route in a 40' bus conversion and a toad and I am glad that we did. You just have to slow down as you travel the ups and downs and get there when you get there.

Devil's tower is a one day stop in my mind. Get there and park. If you are there at a reasonable hour go to the Interpretive Center and look around, take the walk around the base and you are done. A couple of hours at the most. It's a pretty neat geological formation but that's about it.

You are not going to by-pass Mt. Rushmore are you? If you have not been, you need to stop. They also do a nice 4th of July fireworks show above the carvings. I have not been to Rapid City but I know that Bear Country USA is there and it's supposed to be pretty nice if you like that kind of thing. You can look at the things to do in Rapid City here. http://www.visitrapidcity.com/whattodo/attractions/

Jackson Hole is WAY out of your way to anywhere so you would need to either be planning to visit JH on your way to Yellowstone or completely change your plans involving Cody. If you are headed to JH on your way to Yellowstone before you head back to IL then you might want to look here. http://www.jacksonholechamber.com/camping_rv/rv-parks.php I can't remember where we stayed but it was a bit out of town. Very quite and somewhat remote with an amazing view of the Tetons. I think it might have been here. http://www.tetonvalleycampground.com/ I am not sure you can go terribly wrong in this area.

Thanks so much Bill,

We will actually be coming from Shawnee, OK from a rally and will be coming through Estes Park for 2 nights, then on to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone.

So, you recommend two days in Cody? I have not booked a site there yet. We also have a 40' diesel -towing, so going your route will not be a problem?

Yes, we will be going to Mt Rushmore since it is very close to Rapid City.

Sharon

Guest BillAdams

It sounds like you are headed for the Fleetwood rally. If so, see you there! I recommend 2 nights as it will take some time to get to Cody, get setup and be ready to explore. I tend to err on the side or relaxation so I would take it easy and not try to get there, explore the same day and leave the following morning. If you hate it you can always leave early but if you like it you haven't left any time to do the sites.

It sounds like you are headed for the Fleetwood rally. If so, see you there! I recommend 2 nights as it will take some time to get to Cody, get setup and be ready to explore. I tend to err on the side or relaxation so I would take it easy and not try to get there, explore the same day and leave the following morning. If you hate it you can always leave early but if you like it you haven't left any time to do the sites.

Hi Bill!

Yes, we will be in Shawnee for the Fleetwood rally. It would be nice to meet you.

Do you remember where you stayed in Cody?

Rafter J Bar Ranch in Hill City, SD is convenient to Mt Rushmore and Custard State Park...which should/could be a national park. Lets see: 1880's train ride, Needles Hwy, Deadwood, Spearfish Canyon, Crazy Horse memorial. We had planned on 7 days in the area and stayed 10. You may want to check out Wall Drugs in Wall, SD too. One word of caution, make sure you time your trip in this area taking in to account the bike rally in Sturgis. There will be thousands of motorcyclist in for that.

Rafter J Bar Ranch in Hill City, SD is convenient to Mt Rushmore and Custard State Park...which should/could be a national park. Lets see: 1880's train ride, Needles Hwy, Deadwood, Spearfish Canyon, Crazy Horse memorial. We had planned on 7 days in the area and stayed 10. You may want to check out Wall Drugs in Wall, SD too. One word of caution, make sure you time your trip in this area taking in to account the bike rally in Sturgis. There will be thousands of motorcyclist in for that.

Thanks Jim,

We are going a month before the bike rally.

Will we see you in Shawnee for the Fleetwood rally?

Sharon

Guest BillAdams

Hi Bill!

Yes, we will be in Shawnee for the Fleetwood rally. It would be nice to meet you.

Do you remember where you stayed in Cody?

As I recall (it's been awhile) we just dry camped in the Cody area before we headed into Yellowstone so I can't be of any help there.

Thanks Jim,

we are going a month before the bike rally.

will we see you in Shawnee for the fleetwood rally?

Sharon

We won't be making the FOC rally in June. Something about temps in the 90's with 30 amp service doesn't make for a very cool camping experience...if you know what I mean.

We won't be making the FOC rally in June. Something about temps in the 90's with 30 amp service doesn't make for a very cool camping experience...if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean, we did last years in 90+ with 20 amp. Next year it would be nice if they had one on the East coast or Midwest.

Sounds like we'll be in the same area around the same time as you. We're taking our grandson on a summer trip thru eight states. Leaving So. CA on June 20 heading to Grand Canyon; Utah; Mesa Verde National Park, CO; Mt. Rushmore and surrounding area; Cody; Yellowstone; Idaho; Oregon and back home. We have seen many of the sites already but never tire of the beauty.

We are staying five nights at the KOA in Hill City for the Mt. Rushmore and surrounding-area visit (we were going to stay at Rafter J Bar Ranch but decided on KOA instead as it appears to have more for our grandson to do, but very expensive).

According to the Mt. Rushmore website, there will be special events for 4th of July on July 3 & 4 but fireworks have been banned the last couple of years due to fire hazard. Highly recommend the night-time program too at Mt. Rushmore.

I agree with the above posts - I think staying in Hill City or Custer State Park area would be preferable to Rapid City (unless you have a specific reason to stay there).

We are staying two nights in Cody at the Ponderosa Campground/RV Park right in town. There is a shuttle bus that you can take right from the Ponderosa campground to the nightly rodeo, and the Buffalo Bill Historical Center (museum) is awesome. A suggestion for Jackson Hole, although not real close, would be Colter Bay RV Village in Grand Teton National Park.

Have a great trip!

When you leave Yellowstone out the east entrance headed to Cody there is Yellowstone Valley Inn and RV resort, it is about 30 miles from Yellowstone east entrance and 18 miles before you get to Cody. Great park right on the Shoshone river and they have a lot of amenities, such as a saloon, restuarant with great food, everything from burgers to steaks, they have karaoke at night on the weekends, swimming pool, large clean bath house and all sites are level gravel. It is a good base to operate out of to see the sights in Cody or Yellowstone. You definitly need 2 days, day one see the Buffalo Bill Cody museum and then that evening the rodeo, then on day 2, assuming you do have a toad vehicle, take a drive over the Bear Tooth Pass and the Chief Joseph highway. This is a beautiful drive on what has been described as the most beautiful highway in America, the road goes over the 10,947 ft beartooth pass. This drive takes about 6 to 7 hours roundtrip depending on how many pullovers you do.

There are several RV Parks in Cody. When we were there we stayed at the KOA. Nice Place if you get on the front row. Hill City is a good place to stay for both Mt. Rushmore and Custer. If you don't do anything else, please go back to Mt. Rushmore at night. Your parking pass is good for a year and the site is awesome at night.

Have a wonderful trip, all of it will well be worth your time.

Herman

Custer State Park is not to be missed - buffalo roam free and are visible from the larger campground - great facilities and nature loops to explore - our grandkids loved it !! Sites are wide open and reasonable - evening programs are offered by the staff - One of the best state parks we ever visited -

Also Devils Tower is not to be missed - spent several days there at the KOA located at the park entrance - really unique experience for us city dwellers - Upper Midwest is wonderful !!

Hello!

Definitely stay a minimum of 2 nights at Cody, WY. Of course, it depends on your pace and energy! We stayed at the Absaroca Bay campground, with full hook up. It is a Good Sam member. It is not a fancy place, but we were all day away, so for stop overs is just perfect and at the entrance of town.

Jocelynn and Oscar (Quico) Power