danddferr

Ready Brake Tow Bars

I was wondering if anyone had installed the cable themselves. My RV tech can't seem to find the time. He did install the baseplate( Blue Ox ) on my Honda Fit and it looks great. I have done some DIY projects around the house/car Add electical outlets, replace brake shoes ( before anti-lock brakes ) Curious as to how long and difficult it would be on a 2010 Honda Fit.

Dan

1998 Subaru Forester. I did my own installation before leaving for Redmond Oregon last August.

Drill the hole through the firewall and determine the best route for the cable. After you push the cable through the firewall you may see a way to improve the cable routing. Simply push it back and reroute until your satisfied. I used plastic zip ties to secure it.

When you read the posts about all the problems they have with other systems, you will be glad you choose the Ready Brake. There is nothing to hookup, unhook or adjust inside the toad and I tested it on steepest and worst conditions that I could find in the western states.

I am also thinking of getting this system, (ReadyBrake RB-4000). I think I can use it with the new Blue Ox tow bar I bought. I saw a video that showed how to install and route the cable on their web site. It doesn't look that hard. The link bellow is where the video is. Check around for the best price.

http://www.readybrake.com/brake-systems.html

I think I need a receiver drop, (is that the right terminology) and have one.

Will I still be able to use the ReadyBrake system?

I installed everything myself including the base plates on my 1997 Grand Cherokee Jeep. This year jeep is not that hard to install. It works like a bicycle cable. I did have a little problem at the front bumper. I wanted to run straight as possible from the front of the Jeep to the Ready Brake which meant that my cable connection is above the bumper. The Grill on the jeep is plastic and is not strong enough to prevent the cable from moving under stress. I removed the grill and mounted a flat piece of metal to the back of the metal part of the bumper to use as the cable stop and then put the grill back on. It really does not take much to stop the cable from moving but if you have ever seen a 1997 Jeep's grill you would understand. The end of the cable itself is a threaded nylon and a nylon nut.

I believe the whole thing with my magnetic lights, Ready Brake, base plate, Blue Ox bars, and the bar that connects the base plates to the Blue Ox arms, was $1200. That is what some of the others charge just for the braking systems.

I have towed 11,000+ miles with no issues. Very quick and easy to connect and disconnect. I bought the complete kit which included the Blue Ox bars. They say that their braking system needs to be within 2" +/- in height of being level with the toad.

Its all on the website.

Remember to pull the fuse for the Brake lights if you are not wiring the toad. Brake light will come on every time the pedal is pushed and run the battery down. I run magnetic lights so I pull the fuse and hang my warning sign (FUSE IS OUT) on the Jeep mirror. Jeep will start, run, and drive, with out break lights.

I've used the Ready Brake for years and find it works great. I installed it all myself. Routing the cable for the brakes isn't bad. Finding the switched wire for the brakes to light the LED on the Motorhome dash is probably harder. I tow either an Aerostar or an Olds Cutlass (similar to a Chevy Malibu). The Ready Brake receiver incorporates a 2" drop when inserted into the original receiver. I purchased a drop receiver adapter but it turned out I didn't need it. The BlueOx tow bar is almost level when I'm on level ground. The harder you brake the more your towed vehicle brakes are applied. I've been very pleased with my purchase. Hooking up or disconnecting from start to finish couldn't be any faster or easier.