Pxr177

Awning Removal

We have a 30 Ft Fourwinds Citation Type C. it has the usual awning, that can be extended. We find it not all that useful, as we use a dining tent and other shade options. Now, with the cost of gas rising, I am wondering if removing the awning would improve the airflow over the unit and improve gas mileage. Any suggestions.

Thanks again folks.

Paul

Paul,

Clearly if you are not using the awning, paying the extra fuel to carry it around (weight and wind resistance) as well as additional wind noise does not make sense. But, only you can weigh the occasional use of the awning against the small MPG gain.

Brett

If you remove the awning there will be openings that have to be sealed. Things like bolts and screws that hold the awning on your unit will leave openings for water and/or insects. You may also find the paint or surface beneath the awning to need some attention to make it blend with the appearance of your motor home. Sealants like caulking or gaskets may have to be removed.

By removing the awning, you lose the ability to shade a significant portion of that side of your motor home. Shade provided by the awning can significantly improve the ability of your air conditioner to keep the motor home cool and also its cost of operation. If you are not using it for this purpose then this would not be a factor. I consider this a primary function of that awning. Even if you are plugged into campground power, some of the cost of operating the air conditioner for a longer time will fall on you as greater use will eventually contribute to the repair or replacement of the air conditioner.

Consider the weight of the awning. Ours is almost 30' long and weighs about 300 pounds. That represents less than 1% of the weight of our motor home. Aerodynamically, it would likely contribute about the same percentage of the motor homes air resistance. Don't expect to notice that suddenly you are getting better fuel mileage.

Finally, how will removing the awning affect the trade-in/resale value of the motor home? Do you plan to store the awning for eventual re-installation before selling or trading your motor home? When you put it back on, it's paint or surface may not match that of your motor home. Storing it means finding a place where it won't be damaged and ensuring that all the connecting parts stay with awning.

Guest BillAdams

I rarely use my main awning but when it's hotter than stink I can't imagine being without it! Maybe your A/C works better than mine or maybe you will always be able to travel away from those severe Summer temps, but I can't and the shade provided to the coach is the only thing that keeps the coach (and me) comfortable during these events. I suspect that there would be absolutely no measurable change in fuel mileage for your coach with or without an awning and would recommend that you keep the awning.