Sign in to follow this  
aztec7fan

FMCA Code of Ethics

Hello. I've got a comment about the FMCA Code of Ethics, and I don't know who to write to, so I thought I'd post my question(s) here.

As some of you know, I've been a member of FMCA off/on since about 1970. One of the specific things I remember from the early days was that I felt FMCA members were "better" than the other RV clubs members because we held ourselves to a higher standard. When we held a rally, we left the grounds cleaner than when we arrived. My parents would always assist other FMCA members whenever possible, and when driving, they pull over to the side if possile to let faster vehicles pass. I still do these things today, primarily from what I learned from my childhood days with the club.

All of these actions were listed in the original FMCA Code of Ethics:

post-220-0-15099200-1309432380_thumb.jpg

But they are no longer listed in the current (what I consider watered-down) document: Member Code of Ethics.

Although these items are common sence, it sometimes helps to have things in writing as a reminder how to act properly. I was wondering when was this changed, and what was the reason to remove some of these items? Also, the original COE had a strongly worded item saying essentially don't display your FMCA emblem unless you are willing to follow this code. I believe this says that if I display my "goose egg" I follow a higher code of ethics that those RVers who don't.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for listening,

Chris G.

Well said, Chris. To tell you the truth, I never knew about the Code of Ethics. I, like yourself, was taught all my life to always be an example to all who see my actions. Again, Well Said.

One of the specific things I remember from the early days was that I felt FMCA members were "better" than the other RV clubs members because we held ourselves to a higher standard. When we held a rally, we left the grounds cleaner than when we arrived. My parents would always assist other FMCA members whenever possible, and when driving, they pull over to the side if possile to let faster vehicles pass. I still do these things today, primarily from what I learned from my childhood days with the club.

I commend you for expressing your feelings, but I am a bit put-off by the use of the wording "better" and I follow a higher code of ethics than those RVers who don't.

I display my member emblem proudly on the front and back of my coach, and I see a change in FMCA coming back to the codes that made us the family we were.

Dwight, F513-S

When the FMCA national Bylaws were being revised in 2003, a subcommittee of FMCA members studied the Code of Ethics and how it should appear in the newly formatted Bylaws. The current Code of Ethics is now the last page of the Bylaws. The subcommittee gave the following explanation for condensing the Code:

“The FMCA Code of Ethics (Appendix A) is combined with current Article IV, FMCA Code of Ethics to become FMCA Member Code of Ethics. The proposed FMCA Member Code of Ethics takes into consideration the broad responsibilities of FMCA with regard to operating a motor coach and respectfully treating fellow motor coach owners. The deletion of the specific rules for operating a motor coach makes the document timeless, without need for constant review and updating.”