chuckconnie

Kwikee Steps Wont' Extend, at Times

Any help available for a set of double Kwikee steps? Problem is every now and then the steps will not extend. Never have a problem with them retracting.

Took coach to a repair facility where the mechanic tapped on the motor assembly and they worked. Next time they would not retract. I crawled under coach and tapped them myself and they worked again for awhile. This may happen every couple of months.

Now they will not extend, even with the tapping procedure. ANY IDEAS?????

Thanks

Chuck

Any help available for a set of double Kwikee steps ? Problem is every now and then the steps will not extend. Never have a problem with them retracting . Took coach to a repair facility wher upon the mechanic tapped on the motor assembly and they worked. next time they would not retract I cwawled under coach and tapped them myself and they worked again for awhile. This may happen every couple of months.

Now they will not extend even with the tapping procedure. ANY IDEAS ?????

Thanks

Chuck

Chuck & Connie, Welcome to the Forum.

Age old addage, If it moves and is not supose to use Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and is supose to use WD 40.

Check your connections at the motor. Lube steps. Get a bigger Hammer. :lol::lol:

As said before, it sounds like the motor is shorted out and needs to be replaced. If you are mechanical you can change it your self. If not consult a tech.

Good luck.

I found this information in a post from years ago. It may save you some money on a replacement motor for your Kwikee step.

KWIKEE STEP MOTOR REPLACEMENT SERIES 32-with photos

http://www.rv.net/forum/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20310852

"I called a large RV parts dealer in Texas, and told him that I needed a motor for a 32 series Kwikee step. He said that I could not get just a motor that I would have to buy the complete kit that included the controller, gear box and motor as a matched kit. The cost was $209 for the kit. I told him that I had heard that the motor was a window lift motor. He said that he had not heard that and that he doubted that information.

I did research and found that by looking on the NAPA internet site they had photos of the lift motors. I found that a 1986-1995 Ford Taurus left front window lift motor matched my motor. NAPA part # BK655-1395 $63.99 I ordered my motor from Auto-Zone Manufactured by Dorman part# 742-206. This has a lifetime Warranty and was $49.99."

Read the many pages of the topic at RV.net, there is more than one design for the steps and the motors are different. All the information you need to repair your steps is in that topic. Several complained they needed to tap on their motor to get it working - just before it quit for go.

Lots of good information about Kwikee step motors in that topic.

Disconnect the linkage on the motor arm and see if there is a bind going out by pulling out the steps manually. Its a dc motor which the polarity reverses the direction so if the motor runs one direction it should run the other direction too. It may have bad brushes.