Sign in to follow this  
dukeman7595

454 c.i. Engine Reliability ?

I am a new member and have asked one question and had it answered already by Brett, thanks Brett..

My question: I just bought a 1992 Southwind (one owner) in excellent condition. I know it is a old one but before I sink a lot of money into this endeavor I want to make sure it is for us.

We plan a trip to the Grand Canyon from Missouri I am not familiar with the terrain and would really like someone to give me a honest answer if this RV is up to the task, ENGINE wise. I am worried about POWER and anything you may have to add.

Sincerely,

JOE

Joe,

At that age, maintenance will make a great deal of the difference.

Can a 454 take you on that trip-- absolutely.

The only HAVE TO other than routine maintenance is to change the BRAKE FLUID. Old/hydrated brake fluid boils at under 300 degrees F-- new fluid around 500 degrees. Loosing your brakes in the mountains is not when to decide to change the brake fluid.

BTW, our Foretravel is a 1993 with 157,000 miles.

Brett

Joe, as Brett may have already said, Welcome to the Forum.

The GM 454 (7.4) is a great engine. The basic engine is a real workhorse. The following is just my opinion. I feel that any coach up to 34' is just about the max for a gas engine. 37' might be a little too much for the 454. That being said, if you drive it right it should do the job for you.

You might want to take I-80 across Nebraska and Wyoming. There aren't as many mountains that way and it is a nice trip. You might also consider I-40 through Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico. Lots of flat areas along the way, plus who doesn't want 100 plus weather this time of the year.

Have fun and enjoy your trip. :D

I had a 91 pace arrow I bought new. What I did to help mine was I changed the thermostat to a 180 from the 190 than came with it. I also wired the fans to a manual switch that I could control myself. I always thought it ran to hot especially climbing a big hill or idling. What I did helped. I would also go to a Banks exhaust and KN air cleaner if I still had the coach. The 454 is a great engine.

Our 1989 Southwind (454 engine, 32') made the trip from Denver to the Grand Canyon just fine last year and has been very reliable for the last 3 years we've owned it. We love the coach and don't think we need to upgrade anytime soon.

If you take any hills or passes, keep in mind you may take a little more time than before. Ours usually take the steepest Colorado mountains at about 34-40 mph, and I take the downgrades at the same speed by downshifting accordingly.

The only problem I've had with mine is a small power steering fluid leak, which I plan on fixing this winter.

Actually, the formula for descending any grade is to downshift until you find a gear that will hold your speed in EQUILIBRIUM-- you are neither accelerating nor decelerating WITHOUT USING YOUR SERVICE BRAKES (brake pedal).

It has nothing to do with how straight the road is-- if a 6% grade straight for the next 30 miles, your equilibrium speed may be 30 MPH.

A real quick benchmark is the 18 wheelers. Physics dictates that your equilibrium speed is slower than an empty 18 wheeler and faster than a loaded one. If you are passing all the big trucks, YOU ARE GOING TOO FAST.

If you find your speed increasing, use the brakes firmly and long enough to slow you down so you can "grab" a lower gear.

BTW, the same concept applies to diesels, but they can also factor in the use of the exhaust or engine brake or transmission retarder.

Brett

Well said Brett, you are correct, and I should have been more specific. With our coach, we also have the Dual Range aux transmission from U.S. Gear installed and this basically doubles the gears I have available. On a long downhill grade (like from the Eisenhower tunnel to Dillon CO on I-70) I hit the button on the dual range to down shift and also down shift on the column. With downshifting this much, I never have to hit the brakes the entire 5 miles.

Equilibrium is the way I'd describe it too.

As far as the original post, the terrain they will follow is not as steep, but they will encounter some hills. Just check your fluid levels and maintain the engine properly, and you will really enjoy the trip.

When you're done at the Grand Canyon, I'd actually recommend coming back through Monument Valley and Moab in UT to get to I-70, and then come back though Colorado. You will really enjoy the scenery!