lylefikse

50 Amp Power Reel

We have a 2007 Damon Tuscany that does not have a power reel on the 50 Amp cord. What a pain to wrap the cord up each time.

Websites selling power reels seem to give simple directions for installing these on your own. Any tips or advice on kind to buy or mistakes to avoid?

After two years I finally installed a 50 amp hand crank reel. Boy do I love it. Wish I had installed it before. Used the old cord to make a 50 amp extension cord.

The other day another RVer told me I should take all the cord off the reel each time I use it to avoid it becoming an electromagnet. Has any one heard of this? Seems to defeat the purpose of having the reel.

Any electrical flow wrapped around iron ( ferrous metal ) can magnetize it. Remember the old nail, wrapped with copper wire and using a 9 volt battery = magnetic nail ? Of course this application is with DC not AC voltage.

The bigger issue is the building of heat, 50amp should be 6guage copper braided of course.

Several folks use cord reels for electrical lines, portable welders, firefighting apparatus and the list goes on. You don’t see any of those applications with 100’ of cord lying on the ground; just pull off what they need and the rest stays on the reel.

There is a calculation for voltage / amperage drop relative to gauge of wire, amperage draw (load) and temperature. A person with electrical background will offer better assistance on that matter.

I agree with your assessment, use the reel, make sure the wire is of proper size for your amperage load and use what you require and leave the rest spooled up.

Good luck with your project and looking forward to seeing what another with a electrical background has to further say on this topic

AC voltage should not be any problem with magnetizing any iron or steel object, as implied, ac (alternating current) is not a polarizer. 60 cycles, or hertz as most call it means just that. The positive goes negative 60 times per second, thus reversing the charge 60 times each second. Power reels have been around for several years, and if there were any dangers, I'm sure the manufacturer would have warning labels advising such. With the greedy, sue happy lawyers that are around these days, someone would have already been sued over such an issue. Not saying all lawyers are evil people, I have many friends that are lawyers and are not of that breed, but they do exist. Enjoy your power reel, you deserve it.

Happy trails,

Kay