hodo58

Tire Valve Exhttps://community.fmca.com/topic/3215-tire-valve-extenders/tenders

I have a Class C motorhome on a Ford E-450 chassis. What valve extender can be used on the outside rear dual? I have 7" braided extenders on the inside dual. I have seen several solid extenders with various angles ie: 135 degrees etc.

I too have an E-450 Ford Chassis. Mine is 2005. There are 2 different rims Ford used. I've tried 90,135 degree.

No luck. I've heard that using a long Braided line will work also for the outer wheel. Just don't try sharp corners. That's what I will be trying next myself. But I too would like to hear what will really work.

Good Luck

I have had the braided extenders on my Ford E-350 and they had slow leaks. Before my trip this summer I switched to the all metal extenders, but then I had to take the wheel covers off to check my air pressure. My tire store suggested replacing the wheel covers with wheel liners. (which I had never heard off) However he told me what I needed and I ordered them from Amazon (it was cheaper) and he put them on for me. I was gone for 2 months (about 6000 miles) and never had a problem with my tires needing air, and it was so easy to check them.

Hello fellow FMCA members.

I am new to the FMCA blogs - firts time! I have a 2008 Forewinds on a C5500 chassis. I cannot find the valve stems for either wheel, both sides! Do you have to access the inside dual from under the chassis? I also removed the wheel cover, and still could not find a valve stem for either tire. Any suggestions?

Hello, We have a Leisure Travel Free Spirit on a Mercedes dually. Had an issue on the last trip. The outside right rear lost air, also had the problem of not being able to access the valve without removing the wheel cover. Had to reach into the wheel cutout to try and access the 135 degree extender which had loosened causing the air to escape. Fortunately I was able to get my fingers in the rim to tighten it up. I put 2" Wheel Masters extenders on the fronts and rear. I do have the braided extenders for the inside tires. Have not experienced any issues with those.

Hello fellow FMCA members.

I am new to the FMCA blogs - firts time! I have a 2008 Forewinds on a C5500 chassis. I cannot find the valve stems for either wheel, both sides! Do you have to access the inside dual from under the chassis? I also removed the wheel cover, and still could not find a valve stem for either tire. Any suggestions?

They are the inside between of the wheels. You can see them because they do not have extensions. I use the Valve Stem Extension Stabilizer Kits from from http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/north_america/en/info_page/accessories_hd_valve_stem_ext_stabilizer_kits.asp .

I have two setups. On my Silverado dually (all steel wheels), I have braided extenders for the inside and they have yet to leak (good US-made ones). On all the wheels, I have straight metal stems. Works great. On my F550 chassied motorhome, it has 90-ish degree metal vale stems (Alcoa wheels on outside and factory steel on the inside). On the Alcoas, the stem's working end faces to the inside. Requires a double foot truck-style air chuck to fill and it works great as well. I'd recommend that style for your outter wheels (should be fine with steel and simulators if that is what you are running). The down side is if you need air, don't have your own compressor and the gas station only has the simple little round air chuck, you will be alying of the ground trying to fish your hand betwee the wheels to fill.

Double Foot/Truck Style Chuck:

2659.jpg

I find that the air chuck that faces the handle works better if it is straight aimed at the handle not angled outward. Lines up with the outer dual through the 2 inch hole easier.

This has been an ongoing problem for me since purchasing my RV back in November 2011. (2012 Winnebago ERA on the Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis with dual rear tires). I was a first time owner so I didn't have a clue. First problem was finding the darn valve for what I thought was the inside rear dual. Turns out it was the OUTSIDE rear valve that I couldn't see. :angry: The dealer was no help whatsoever. Finally went to a tire store and they showed me and told me that they were generally located at 180º opposite to the inside valve stem. OK ... found it!! :) Next problem ... how the heck to reach it. Even with the wheel covers off (simulators) I still couldn't reach in through the tiny hole and check the pressure or add air. This was getting ridiculous!!! :angry:

Finally ... the Mercedes Dealer where I went for my first service added extensions on all six (6) wheels so I could at least check and add air without removing the wheel covers. I eventually added a set of DORAN 360RV TPMS as well. Love the tire pressure monitoring system until I woke one morning with one tire down to 55 pounds from 70. No idea what the problem was ... added air and keep losing as I drove.

OK ... the bottom line for me. The valve extensions had come loose resulting in a leak. So now ... a year and half after purchasing my RV I have a bit of a handle on the situation. I still wasn't happy with all the valve extension so I ordered a set of all metal tire valves from Tire Man in California. He assures me that I won't need valve extensions and that I can still screw on my TPMS sensors and that I can check and add air without removing the wheel covers. Time will tell. I still have to get them installed and my inclination is to wait until I need a new set of tire before I have them installed ... unless I have a problem in the meantime.

This has been one of the most frustrating issues for me. I can sure understand the frustration that a new owner will have with these. It's beyond me why the manufactures make it so difficult for the ordinary Joe to check tires. The dealer was pitiful when it can to the demo when I bought it and any warranty service I've had since. I don't go back there any more.

Since this is my first post since joining this FORUM ... I will get about setting up my signature and anything else I can. I will note that there are getting to be too many RV types FORUMS out there, Trying to keep up is becoming a challenge. :blink:

Regards

Karsty (The Wandering Viking)

3Karsty, I agree with you totally about the tire setup. I bought mine in California December 2015. I was cautioned by another blog host here to examine the DOT to determine the true age of my tires. I bought a truck type air gage and guess what, one of my tires inside and outside were pointed at each other. The size of the outside tires fill valve is a totally different size. Three gages I have and none will fit those tires. Maybe they came from Germany???. I am going to visit the dealer and ask about it. I bought an extension for the inside tires and the box they came in stated do not install on rubber valve stems. I examined the inside tire stems and of course the first two inches are rubber then steel but not long enough for me to install TPMS which also states "do not install on rubber..."  After reading posts here and elsewhere I do not feel comfortable traveling the breadth of this country without monitoring the differential between inside and outside tires. Keep posting we love to hear your experiences.

RoverTom3 2015 Itasca Reyo 25P