chucknewman

Why a 4 Character Limitation?

With the old software and with this new upgrade when I search for a very common word(s) or term(s) such as "ecm flash" or "ecm upgrade" I get this error message:

One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

We discuss ecm's all the time on this board. Why the 4 character limitation. I have never run into this on any other forum software.

Chuck

Where and how do we use "Engine control module" upgrade?

ECM= Engine Control Module

The post was not a direct response to the question, but a "work around" for his specific search.

Brett

With the old software and with this new upgrade when I search for a very common word(s) or term(s) such as "ecm flash" or "ecm upgrade" I get this error message:

One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

We discuss ecm's all the time on this board. Why the 4 character limitation? I have never run into this on any other forum software.

Chuck

The default setting for minimum number of characters searched is four. Our forums use MySQ software and a full-text search, which allows Bolean searches -- combining words and phrases in a search -- so even when I reduce the minium characters, it has no affect.

This means that if you search for "ecm flash," the search engine will ignore "ecm" and just search for "flash." Similar results for a search for "ecm upgrade."

In each of these cases, not a big deal -- you will get results. But in some cases, such searches turn up a bunch of results that are not related to what's actually being searched. They also will skip threads that answer a particular question, which leads to more of the same threads being posted again and again.

It would be nice to have an exception list for terms that have fewer characters than whatever the minimum set. I could add items such as "ecm," "mpg," "gen" ... I'm sure you can think of others, but this option is not available at the moment.

There must be a way to allow three-letter word searches. I will look into this further.

Quick search tip: On the advanced search screen, you have the option to search whatever forum you want. Just highlight the category with our mouse (use Ctrl + Mouse to select multiple forums).

Thank you all for the replies. As you probably suspected following 4 decades of electronics engineering I do know the definitions of ecm, ecu, pcm, etal; all used by various vehicle manufacturers to represent components of various control systems.

Contrary to how that sounds, I don't take offense to any comments. In fact I usually encourage them as I frequently learn new issues from statements / ideas on this and other forums. My point is I also know people tend to use abbreviations or other monikers to describe common multi-worded names or uses for computer related issues on a daily basis. Whether vehicle related or otherwise.

If I understand the philosophy of any forum and particularly one representing the entire spectrum of functions of motor coaching, it is to make both technical and non-technical information easily available (by searching if necessary) to it's members. And it being well known most folks (ie. non-professional writers), write with the same vocabulary they speak with, most written searches will include those words and/or mnemonics people speak to each other on a daily basis.

An example of what I'm saying:

Just now I made a simple search for "ecm" and "engine control module", exactly as typed here, on two other forums. One maintained by another RVing club organization with the same and/or similar topics, and the other a bus conversion forum. The results are listed below.

RV forum Bus conversion forum

Term "ecm" 106 different threads 97 different threads

Term "engine control module" 2 different threads 0 threads

"This means that if you search for "ecm flash," the search engine will ignore "ecm" and just search for "flash." Similar results for a search for "ecm upgrade." In each of these cases, not a big deal -- you will get results."

Actually, the stats above show it is a "big deal" because you don't get results of finding the information one seeks to learn about issues related to a specific topic -- the real purpose of a forum board.

Tmoning, don't take this as a personal attack as I fully realize you are a "man in the middle" trying to help with questions and complaints as best you can. And I do appreciate that. But I've been in this business too long to hear "The Company Line" of excuses for selecting mediocre software. Even worse staying with the same vendor during an upgrade for same.

As one of my fellow posters recently said, "It is what it is!" And I will accept that. But in my opinion, that's unfortunate, and has a debilitating effect on the usefulness of this board. But then, it certainly is in line with FMCA's management take-it or leave-it attitude of issues in general.

I leave this subject in order to get back to my original endeavor of finding information on ECM flash modules, programs, procedures and effects.

Chuck

Well I see your upgraded software reformatted and distorted what I actually posted. The stats actually had four (4) distinct results of the searches. This displayed mess really does not make logical sense of my post. If what you see (and type) is not what you get, it's just another black hole.

Chuck

Searches for ecm, btu, psi and other three-letter searches will now produce results.

The server configuration had to be changed, because this funcionality is not standard across our envornoment due to usage constraints. Because it is not standard, it could get reverted in the future. So if you notice that happening, please post here.