Vantrippin

Awning Replacement

I recently was parked on the shore of Lake Superior watching the wind and waves. We had just pulled into a rest area when a big gust blew my 12 foot Dometic awning loose and half way onto the roof of my Class C Coachmen. I had never used it and it was all closed up properly stowed by the dealer we bought it from. The supports were broken and bent and the awning itself was destroyed.

I would like to replace it with one that is easier to use and doesn't require locking and unlocking with a long rod. It would be nice if it wouldn't blow off in 70 MPH gusts.

I have yet to visit the Coachmen factory which is 140 miles away but I would assume a Coachmen dealer could do the job.

If you have any suggestions about the awning I could get and/or the installation I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Ham Brown

dignifyde@aol.com

The two awning companies that I am aware make top quality awnings are Carefree of Colorado and Girard. I don't have a suggestion for a specific model but these companies should have representatives across the country that can discuss various models and help you choose one that will perform satisfactorily for you.

Girard is totally automatic. No locks or posts that mount down the side of the coach. There is even a wind speed sensor that will automatically retract the main awning at around 7 mph (I think it's adjustable too).