mcsafari

Generator Makes 127 VAC

My Gen had a new voltage Reg replaced. It was putting out 180 VAC, so I took it back and they replaced Reg again. Now it is putting out 127VAC. Is this to much? Can it be adjusted? I know it is close but don't know if it will hurt anything.

Sorry

Onan 6300 LP Gen Set Emerald Plus Model # 6.3NHEFA63753P, in 1997 Safari.

The load does not seem to change it much-- with both a/c's on it is still high, like 125.

This post from Generator Jim (he is unable to get online right now):

Potted ONAN electronic regulators are now capped at 132 volts which is considered a safe voltage level. 108 is considered the low limit. Have the him check frequency of unit (speed) as, even with electronic regulation, speed has an effect on voltage. Voltage level is not normally adjustable in the rv units, although it can be done by rewiring the regulator plug with a rheostat. The wiring diagram for the rheostat is in the 50 cycle and commercial unit wiring diagram.

Jim Latour (generator jim)

Generator Jim,

I remember that Mr. R.G , the owner, of LeTournio in Longview made electric drive earth moving equipment. Each wheel was an electric motor. You could always tell one of his units because the engine would run at a fixed RPM. They would determine at what RPM they achieved the most Voltage and it would run all day long at that setting. When you mentioned the RPM setting I thought that could be the problem. Is there a way to adjust the RPM on the Onan?

I will look for your answer on this and anything in the future.

Good information

HermanMullins

You will need a multi-meter that can measure Hertz or frequency. Attach the leads to the output voltage connections and you should read about 61.5 Hz no-load. At load, you should measure about 58.5 Hz.

To change the speed on a BG or NH series unit, you must adjust the speed spring that is under the black cover on the top of the engine. Early units had a square hole in the cover (two wrenches) and later models had an extended shaft (Phillips screwdriver), like a speedometer cable, that terminated in the vicinity of the carbruetor.

If the genset is hunting GET A "SERVICE MANUAL" for your unit and follow the directions explicitly or you will have trouble.

JimL

Generator Jim