Sign in to follow this  
bizsmith@yahoo.com

Grocery Stores

As we travel we see and visit so many new (to us) grocery stores and chains. We are in Galveston Island SP and in this area Kroger is big. I had never seen a Kroger Signature store before and I guess it must be the ultimate Kroger. It is very large (the frozen food section is bigger than a lot of stores we've been in). Publix is prevalent in the southeast and other chains are popular in other areas.

I guess we were most impressed by Whole Foods in Denver.

For the most part I am partial to the smaller well organized stores. They may not have everything but it is usually easier and quicker to find what I want. I sort of have a phobia against Walmarts.

What is your favorite grocery store or chain?

We live in Indiana and prefer Meijer, but they seem to only be around the Great Lakes area. When we travel to the southwest (Phoenix area), we like Albertsons and Frys. Frys is a Kroger owned name. Some Frys are electronic stores. You can find almost every electronic item that you might need. Kroger owns many what were local grocery chain stores. In central Indiana, Payless is one of the Kroger owned chains. Since we visit Walmarts a lot, we do shop there as a thank you for allowing us to park overnight. Their pricing is good, but we do not usually buy meats at Walmarts because so much of their "freash" meets are prepackaged at remote processing center.

Kroger.

They have one nice benifit. For each dollar you spend you get a point. For each one hundred point you have in a month, the next month you receive $.10 off for each gallon you purchase at a Kroger Station. If you are a really, really big spender you can get $1.00 off per gallon. I beleive it is limited to a certain amout of fuel. You do have to have a Kroger Card (free) and have to have it scaned each time you buy Groceries. You also receive a senior discount of 10% off all Kroger brand Items.

Here in Colorado, we have King Soopers which is another Kroger/City Market brand. Same points-for-fuel plan. Not sure about the senior discount, but I sure will check.

As a PS to this post we have found that many times the checkout person will give you the store or chain discount if you tell them you don't have the store in your home area. Saves applying for and carrying multiple discount cards. Doesn't work all the time.

You are correct. And if you check, some of them are affiliated with a store your already have a card with and that they honor the same card. I don't know if a lot know about some of the other discounts out there. For example IHOP gives a 10% discount for Seniors, but if you are a veteran they will give a 20% discount. Maybe not all locations, since they are franchises, but most do. Be sure and ask for your veterans discounts at Lowes and Home Depot. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Happy Rving and shopping.