Sign in to follow this  
helene.roch

Dates of the FMCA’s 87th Family Reunion Not Convenient For Families

Last summer, we attended the FMCA convention in Madison as first time attendees and we were really impressed by the organization, the welcoming team and the variety of seminars and activities that were available to us. No doubt, the devotion of all volunteers and FMCA staff was widely demonstrated during this event and reflected the high degree of professionalism of FMCA.

We were looking forward to this year’s convention but when we discovered it was in late August (27-30 Aug), it became apparent we could not attend. Our daughters , like many other teenagers, start school on the last week of August. After speaking with many families at the convention, several of them will not be able to attend as well for the same reason. I realize that the majority of FMCA membership does not have to comply with the return to school schedule anymore but the Governing or Executive Board may want to consider that the future of FMCA rests on the next generation, our children and our grandchildren. If we do not involve the next generation more actively and /or ensure their participation, we might encounter some problems to regenerate the membership in years to come. I would like to know if we are the only one thinking that way or if we missed something in the process…!!!

I am still convinced that FMCA is among the best RV associations in North America and we cannot wait to renew the pleasant experience we had last summer in participating in a future FMCA convention. We will not do it in 2012 for the reason above mentioned but we will surely try to attend in the following years hoping that the dates will be more convenient.

Roch Giguere

F413141

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Helene and Roch, Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry that the National schedule and yours wont be meshing this year. You do bring up a Valid point. FMCA stands for Family. In these times when we are trying to maintain and grow membership it would be good to look at scheduling National Events when families can come and bring their children. At present time there is nothing that can be done for this year but it is something that should be considered for future events.

Check into Association and Chapter Rallies that you can attend with your childern.

Good Luck and may your children have a wonderful year.

Herman Mullins

What happened is the it was originally scheduled for around the 4th of July when the powers to be found out that the manufacturers are in vacation mode and model changeover and would not attend. The earliest available date was late in August. Some of my grand kids start back to school the second week in August, the rest by the middle of the month.

Helene and Roch: That is a good point. The dates for the Indy rally got shuffled around and that caused a late summer date.

Was the possibility of the date and the start of school considered? Not sure, but I think it will be in the future!

I do know that there are states that start school the later part of August. This could have an effect on other members also.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts.

R.M.

Guest Yeatts

Thanks for all your constructive comments regarding the dates of the Indianapolis reunion. The dates were originally set for the 4th of July. The thought of celebrating Canada Day and Independence Day in Indianapolis with a few thousand motorhomers was exciting. We envisioned picnics, fireworks, games, and all the things that make the mid-season celebration special to families. When many of the manufacturers informed us in March 2011 that they would have a difficult time supporting us due to the closing of the plants, we asked the Indiana State Fairgrounds for alternate dates. Due to the Indiana State Fair schedule, the late August dates were the best we could do.

Indianapolis is an amazing city with countless activities for adults and kids. If you can stretch the summer out just a little bit longer, the 87th Family Reunion should be a great ending to summer vacation plans.