Sign in to follow this  
jberger@prodigy.net

Towing And Toad Braking Question

After using a tow dolly for two years that I pulled my Toyota Highlander, decided to purchase a Honda CRV 2010 and tow 4 wheels down. Having a Blue Ox base plate installed next week. Bought an Alladin Blue Ox tow bar on Craig's list today the tow bar is missing the safety cables and hitch pins for $250. I thought I made out good. Can purchase the pins and cables on line for about $125. The person installing the base plate is a Blue Ox dealer. Hopefully they can check out and service my tow bar purchase. After reading all the dead battery problems, will be installing a toad charging and a new cigarette lighter in the CRV.

My coach is a 2003 Newmar Kountry Star diesel pusher. I am the second owner of the coach. The original owner had a Bakemaster 9000 installed. The parts on the coach seem intact. Don't have the parts for the tow vehicle-- roughly about $800 for the same price and a lot less work I can buy a Brake buddy that seems like a better deal. I do have a few questions for all that have input would be appreciated.

1) Do I go with Brakebuddy unit or try and get Brakekmaster parts for tow car?

2) The max 65 speed towing is published in the owner's manual. Has any one experienced problems exceeding that for short periods like passing ?

3) When I buy the hitch pins for the Blue Ox, do I spend the extra dollars and buy all locking pins all the way around or are the cotter or lynch type pins going to be less of a problem for towing not having to have a key to get the car loose ?

Thanks John Berger

F414550

If you can spend a few dollars more, look at the air force one brake system. No devices to leave in car like the brake buddy, all you do is connect an air line, and it works great. I have the key locks on so no one can play with the pins when I am not around.

There are several topics regarding these issues in the forums. You might like to review some more of them.

As for braking, I like the M&G, but only because that is what I have. Like the Air Force One, there is only an air line to connect and braking is proportional to the pressure you apply to the pedal in the motorhome. I have always been suspicious of the systems using momentum to apply the breaks and when you consider the amount of pressure you have to apply I can't believe a system pushing on the seat in the toad is any good. Just my opinion.

Read thru the forums and make your own decision.

To answer the question about the 65mph limit on the CR-V. I tow a '06 and have on several occasions exceeded 70mph for short periods and have not seen any problems. Obviously Honda feels that towing above 65 continuously would be harmful, but probably a little conservative to avoid problems.

I too would suggest the Air Force one. I had a Brake Buddy. The Brake Buddy caused a break malfunction on my towed auto. Had to replace calipers, pads, and disks. Saw another cause the tire to catch fire because of locking the brake for only two blocks.

Wait until you get all the parts together before you decide to use all locking pins. You may find there are locations that you cannot get the lock and/or key on the pin because of tight space. I do suggest using all keyed alike locks for the where they can be used to prevent theft. When I return to the coach from a stop, I check to be sure that nothing has changed by vandalism or breakage.

I am new to FMCA and find the forums extremely informative. We have recently purchased a 45' 2009 Sportscoach Legend and now working on a Toad assembly. More than likely we will tow a Jeep GC and we are considering auxiliary braking. I have noted the comments, favorable reviews, and researched the Airforce 1 and M&G. I would like to know if anyone has experience with the Roadmaster Invisibreak. Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

Poppo

We have the Roadmaster Invisibrake on our toad (2008 Ford Focus).

A good choice if you will be keeping the Jeep for awhile, as there is more initial labor than with the "brakes in a box".

It takes virtually no set up time (other than plugging in the light pigtail and breakaway wire). There is nothing to remove/set up-- the components are installed in out of the way locations.

The pump both creates vacuum to operate the power brake booster and pressure to activate the air cylinder that is hidden, but connected to the back of the brake pedal.

It also includes a charge line to keep the toad battery up when coach running lights are on.

If you tow more than one vehicle or change vehicles often, this would probably not be the right choice-- guess that is why even the company that makes the Invisibrake (Roadmaster) offers more than one type of brake.

Brett ... Thanks for the quick reply! We do plan to keep the GC for awhile and only tow the one vehicle. I wouldn't attempt the install myself ... if I expect it to work. Thanks again!