bhfisher

1986 Fleetwood Bounder Electrical

I just pickup this 1986 Bounder. It's the 34' model. The problem is has is the head lights, radio and tv don't work. This happen according to the owner when the alternator was replaced. The fuses have been check. I was hoping maybe someone has the wiring diagrams for this the might be willing to share. I'd be willing to pay you for a copy

Thanks, Bart

Bart, I have been looking for some information that is tucked away in may old manuals,but no luck to this point..

The best I can do is recalling from memory. I owned a 87 Bounder that was on a Chev. P30 Chassis.

The head light power is supplied through a circuit breaker ( they are auto resetting) think 30 amps. from the battery via fuse box harness on a tape point or connector block.

Check the high low dimmer switch, the feed goes to this switch common point, now if you do not have voltage at the switch.

Check for a relay in the power supply line, Relay is energized from the headlight Switch in most cases, not always thought. Power can be from the SW. directly in some cases.

Check and see if you have power at the headlight / marker light SW. Have you ever remover the the knob assembly from the switch in one? There is a trick to it if you have not ever had to pull one.

Now, you said head lights not working. Are the marker lights and instrument panel lights working?

With the SW out check for power at the switch. You will have to reinstall the knob to check all the circuits for power.

Check this link to see what it should look like. You can get them from NAPA ,For reference only.

http://www.am-autopa...CFULe4Aod-ymAOA

Regarding the radio, There is a 15 amp fuse for the radio. You mentioned the fuse was good. Most often they used a connection in the fuse box to feed power to the radio.

This wire was plugged into the fuse box at a terminal next to the fuse. that wire runs to the radio. Depending on what kind of radio is in the coach,there maybe a fuse in or at the radio its self. Should your radio have a clock, then there will be a second power feed with a fuse about 1-1/2 amp in size..

For the TV power, got to think from your post that it runs on 12 Volts. Contact me with more info. Is it connected to a convenience type socket, one like that used for the cigarette lighter?

R.M.

Bart, been going over some of my other electrical drawings and it looks like I missed on the power source, but then it still could be a circuit breaker.

Things have changed and I'm thinking that your wiring my have 2 fuse-able links connected at the positive terminal of the starter. The heavy red cable goes directly to the battery.

The 2 links power the fuse block on many of the older units.

One could be blown (burned open) and they do not look bad just by looking in many cases. So if you do not have power at some of the fuses,take a look st those links if your coach is wired that way. It would be simple if they where all wired the same. :)

Hope this helps, still looking for my drawings for the 87 chassis. Boy! I can hide things well sometimes.

Found the drawings!! Check the fuse-able links. You should have other circuits not working.No Radio ,then maybe no Heater & AC. No Head lights,feed direct from fuse-able link that power the light switch red wire,yellow feeds the dimmer SW.

Looks like Lt.green wire is high beam and Tan wire is Low beam from the dimmer SW.

Still got to work on that TV power feed ???

R.M.

Hi, Thanks for the info. I'll check it out today. I did get a copy of the wiring from Fleetwood this morning, It is only 27 pages and the details regarding the head lights circuits seems to be missing - it appears to be more a block diagram, not very detailed. Is your manual more complete? I don't know if this would be a big problem for you, but if you would stop by an Office Depot, They can scan it for you. I'd gladly send money for your time and troubles (Paypal or check?).

Bart

Bart, The Electrical drawings are from GM. The Chassis manufacture for the P series chassis. The Fleetwood drawings should do a better job covering the Coach to Chassis electrical interface.

Then again because of Fleetwoods Chapter 11 issue,they may have decreased the information covered because of age.

Question, Did your drawings come in the form of a PDF file or a paper copy?

The hard copy I have is 42-11 X 17 RV Truck pages,with more pages covering the other light duty trucks built in 87. The Chassis manual section covers all the mechanical hardware.

I ordered the set when we purchased the Coach. I never did get the Fleetwood coach information. Things where much simpler back then.

The Diesel pusher I now have is way more complicated. With items one could only dream of in 1987. That being the case I now have Engine,Transmission,Chassis and Coach information for reference. Add in the VMSpc and other software used when traveling one often feels overwhelmed.

We started with a Class C on a Ford Econoline Chassis. Started in the wading pool and at times I feel that I'm over my head.

I watch the changes and wonder just how far the envelope can be pushed.

R.M.

Hi, I did find the Engine,Transmission and Chassis PDF for the P30 chassis. I download that. What Fleetwood gave was a pdf. I can send you a copy. It's about 27 pages. It rained today, so I was not able to go see the RV today. It's sitting in the middle of a dirt field, so it would have been a mess to get to it. Went to DMV instead and got registration done. Hopefully, I can get it to the house tomorrow and looking for fuse links. I'll update to what I find.

Thanks, Bart