ellteemg0307

Toilet Bowl Seal

The seal on my toilet bowl has dried out and as a result the bowl does not hold water. Any ideas on how to rehydrate or lube the seal so the bowl holds water again.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Mike

Lake Wales, FL

Mike,

Welcome to the Forum.

Take your toilets model number to a RV supply house and order a new seal. Sorry to be so blunt, but there isn't a way to soften to harden rubber. After you change or have the seal changed there are some different item you can pour in the toilet the help lube a soft seal.

Good luck, some one else may have a different solution.

You have nothing to loose by cleaning the groove out with a tool-- I whittle down an old wood clothes pin and attach a line to it so it can't fall in. Work it around the groove making sure to clean it out well.

Then put pure silicone grease (Home Depot, etc) on the seal.

If it doesn't work, your investment is under $5.

My seal dryed out and wouldn't hold water. After I purchased a new one, and before I worked up the courage to actually replace it, I poured a cup or two of RV anti-freeze in the bowl, figuring it was a bit thicker than water and might not run away quite as fast, Lo and Behold it softened the seal to where it worked again. Anybody looking for a new seal cheap? ;)

KamperAl, keep it, before too long you are going to need it. If you keep it you may never need it. If you sell it or throw it away, you will need it the next trip.

Murphys Law.

Good luck and keep flushing, sorry I mean RVing.

Herman

Kamper Al,

Just one of those little tricks that works. Have to winterize the coach each year and we found out that it worked to soften the seal and also loosened the dirt built up. We now travel with a gallon of it and put some in the bowel now and then. Have learned that it can leave a pink stain when the bowel is plastic. It also appears to keep the dump / gate valves in good condition. So some is used from time to time in the gray tank.

Rich.