Sign in to follow this  
katderrig

Age Of Vintage FMCA Sign?

Hi all,

I have an old Family Motor Coach Associate sign that's been in my father's garage for years. It is metal, oval in shape and measures about 11" by 7" and has the numbers 1399 in the middle. I have seen other signs with different numbers and was wondering if the sign could be dated by these numbers, or if anyone could possibly tell me about how old it might be?

Thanks,

Kat

#F1399 was issued when the family joined The Family Motor Coaching Association in 1967.

If you are a Son, Daughter, Grandaughter, Grandson, etc. of the original member, you are eligible to become a member and have that number assigned to you with a letter following the number such as S or D and if more than one son or daughter etc. joins, a number will follow the letter such as S2 or D2.

My father & I together joined in 1964 along with 3 other families from our rural Minnesota town and were assigned numbers F510, F511, F512, F513 (all 4 families converted a total of 6 FLXIBLE HIGHWAY BUSES into motorhomes) and when my parents reached the end of the road, my brother and I each joined as F513s and F513s2.

I'm proud to say that my family holds number 3. I'm not a member yet, as I'm only 20 and am without a bus, but my father has his plates, which read "3 S" and my grandfather's plates, which read "F 3". Does anybody know if any other families from the original 26 are still members?

KAT

Welcome again

Call the FMCA National Office and identify yourself and they will have the information you are seeking.

1-800-543-3622

HERMAN

Thank you for the kind words. My father F513 and his good friend F510 names were on the list of 40 or 50 coach-owning familys that was sent out in the spring of 1962 by Bill Christensen F28 of Winona, Minnesota suggesting an organization. (my parents had converted our first Flxible Coach ten years prior to that date)

:wub: W O W

RSTONE 0021

This is just like an old fashion family get together.

F3 Howard & Audrey with their Flxible Bus became Life Members L3 and their son Jim & Tracy became F3S with their Foretravel and now Grandson R_____ is waiting for his chance to become F3GS. (I have never seen a F GS plate)

Disappointingly, the member roster is no longer published in the January FMCA magazine but the information is held in the FMCA office.

Five years ago there were 12 of the original 28 families listed in the membership with the F or L number 1 thru 28 including F20S & F23D.

Thanks for the response, Dwight and Ginny! My name is Randall.

You've got all that information right, I still remember my grandparents' green Flxible (We called it the pickle). It's actually going into a museum after restoration. I've tried very hard to find more information on the creation of the FMCA, but unfortunately the most detailed thing I could find was an article on the website, which is only about 3 paragraphs of actual history. I think it would be very interesting to talk to some of the older families in the association, and learn more about them, their families, their vehicles and their parents' vehicles, etc. I would hate to think of any of these stories being forgotten.

Hello-o-o-o-o, Randall Stone !! I knew your grandparents many years ago when I was in the Northeast Chapter of the FMCA. Alas, both are passed from this Earth...and their Flxible is supposedly taken to a service station in Hudson, Mass. now. The very last time I visited Bud and Audrey, well - Audrey was in mid-to-advanced stage of Alzheimer's Disease. She sat at the kitchen table hardly knowing me from a previous visit although Bud was doing OK and reminding Audrey of my presence. I never had time to visit them again, and two weeks ago I looked up several friends from better times. I've lost many of them due to old age and other effects, so one day soon I'll try to start a page for older members dead or alive who were or still are in the FMCA membership. I'm glad to meet you through this forum, and I hope we can communicate regularly before long. I'm Ralph Baker, 'Associate' member A001519 from 1972 through 1979, just renewed for the stated purpose two days ago. Cheers !! :)

Hello-o-o-o-o, Randall Stone !! I knew your grandparents many years ago when I was in the Northeast Chapter of the FMCA. Alas, both are passed from this Earth...and their Flxible is supposedly taken to a service station in Hudson, Mass. now. The very last time I visited Bud and Audrey, well - Audrey was in mid-to-advanced stage of Alzheimer's Disease. She sat at the kitchen table hardly knowing me from a previous visit although Bud was doing OK and reminding Audrey of my presence. I never had time to visit them again, and two weeks ago I looked up several friends from better times. I've lost many of them due to old age and other effects, so one day soon I'll try to start a page for older members dead or alive who were or still are in the FMCA membership. I'm glad to meet you through this forum, and I hope we can communicate regularly before long. I'm Ralph Baker, 'Associate' member A001519 from 1972 through 1979, just renewed for the stated purpose two days ago. Cheers !! :)

Once gain this is a 3 year old post. It unlikely they are following it.

Bill